Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
weight gain

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

weight gain

I am 29 years old, 5'2" and 190 pounds. This year I have gone through thyroid cancer with a total thyroidectomy.  I can not lose weight despite trying to carefully watch food and calories and exercise.  Nothing seems to be working and I'm putting on about 3 pounds per month.  My TSH levels have been good for the past months at less than .03.  I am worried and depressed.  I do not want to be this size.  I am normally around 130 pounds and desperately want to get back there.  I made an appointment to talk to my doctor about this, but I'm not sure if there is anything he can do to help.  Are there meds that I can take with my synthroid?  Is there something else he can do for me?  I'm worried about not only my depression due to this, but also if I keep gaining weight at this rate, my health issues.  What should I ask my doctor for?

Please help!
The only thyroid option (and it likely won't help weight) is to combine cytomel and synthroid.  Otherwise it is a matter of diet/nutrition and hard work.
Hi there!! I so relate to your woes. I had a TT due to cancer in February and I have the same problem. I am 5'4 and weighed 186 lbs even though I ate less than 900 calories a day. I went to see my doctor and he prescribed Meridia which is slowly helping. I lost 7 lbs in 5 weeks even though I went on vacation and now the Holidays. So, I can say that it's working just very slowly. From what I understand at .03 (same TSH as myself) we are considered to be hyperactive, which is necessary for the suppression of the cancer, however, some people react by gaining weight if they are hypers. Most lose weight, but of course, it seems like you and I, we go the opposite way. Speak to your doctor and see if he will help you out. I kept a journal of what I ate for a week to prove to him that my caloric intake is very low. Good luck and hang in there. By the way, I also hated coffee before the TT and now I can't live without it or else I can't function. Oh well, things will never be the same again.
Go here and read this inspiring story

http://stopthethyroidmadness.com/stories-of-others/stephanies-story/

and here for her blog

http://ds-ladybugsandbees.blogspot.com/

She is a whole new person!!!
Hi.  I think I may have mentioned this on the other forum but my entire family has had TTs because of thyroid cancer.  Following the TTs most of us have developed Type II diabetes.  We have to be on a strict carb-controlled diet (no more than about 15g of carbs per meal) and eat 5 small meals a day.  

I've lost nearly 20 lbs on this diet, another sister about 20 lbs too and another sister (who has time to go to the gym every day) has lost 57lbs.  Have you had your blood glucose levels checked to see if you have glucose problems (hypoglycemic, pre-diabetic, diabetic)??

There is a pretty strong correlation between thyroid problems and glucose tolerance problems.
Please tell me more about your "strict carb-controlled diet (no more than about 15g of carbs per meal) and eat 5 small meals a day." Would you please provide me with a sample menu?
Thank you very much.
I just follow the American Diabetic Association's diet.  I have Type II diabetes and my 15-year old son has Type I.  We both really have to watch what we eat.

Here's the ADA's web site:
http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-and-recipes/nutrition/overview.jsp

Other carb-control diets (Atkins, South Beach, etc.) may not be as healthy.  However, for a quick meal for my son, South Beach has some great frozen dinners and protein bars - just read the labels because some of their foods are above 15g of carbs.

Fresh fruit, nuts, raw veggies, and cheeses are great snacks too.  Avoid fruit juices and dried fruits though.

Good luck!
Hi,You will need to have your testosterone level checked.Most men who have there thyroid removed or just have thyroid replacment to help there thyroid have low testosterone levels.I think somewhere in the 80 percent if the thyroid has a problem the testosterone has a problem.You can eat as little as you want and excercise till you fall over, but if the tesosterone is out of order which in 80 percent of cases it will be, you will not lose a pound.Get it checked,good luck!