Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
weight loss with hashimotos?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

weight loss with hashimotos?

I have many of the symptoms of hashimoto's disease and I have been diagnosed with elevated antibodies. I went through a period of time with severe anxiety/depression/lethargy/mental fog, etc.. it was truly agonizing and I was actually put on psychiatric disability because although I had hashi's antibodies, my tsh was normal- 2.7, 1.5 (tests two weeks apart).  I also lost a significant amount of hair- my hair is still thinner than it has ever been in my life. I normally have thick dark hair. It is now thin.  So- long story short- After going through many doctors, I finally found a doctor who put me on a small dose of synthroid despite my normal tsh labs. I started feeling soooooo much better within 2 weeks and I have been on it ever since (for about 2 months now). I feel more like myself again! My question is this-

I started actually losing weight when all these symptoms arose. I have lost about 12 lbs (a lot for me) in the past 6 months. All the research I have done says that when hypo you gain, not lose, so I am confused by this. My doctor says I am definitly not hyperthyroid based on test results TSH and TBII. So why am I losing? I have also been to a gastrointerologist to rule out celiac- I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy- everything normal.

Any information you have would be greatly appreciated. :)
you're not hyper -- the classic hypo-gain, hyper-lose does not hold for about 15% of patients -- also look into adrenal insufficiency and GI disease as you are doing -- sprue is more common in hashi patients so I am happy to see this has been mentioned.  Adrenal insufficiency can be screened for with an am cortisol -- if >11 doubt there is insufficiency, if <11 with your weight loss may be wortwhile to do an ACTH stimulation test.
Hashimoto's can cause symptoms even when labs are in range...and often presents with psychiatric symptoms.  Here's a article that will interest you:
http://www.drrichardhall.com/Articles/hashimoto.pdf
I am kind of breaking code here I have already had 2 questions answered. This is kind of a follow up to my Q & A you already gave.
Your suggestion to the patient on this thread was a.m. cortisol and is what I had done twice in a month period. When my result on 180mg of Armour was 1.7 reference range 3-8ng/ml he my dose was lowered to 120mg Armour and the next a.m. result a month after on the lower dose was still low but better at 2.7 reference range 3-8 ng/ml.
Many of the saliva tests showed normal/low and with a normal adrenal stimulation test he has been puzzled about this. All I know is when it gets low I have the symptoms I describe.
I feel like someone who is slipping through the cracks not able to be helped.
Thanks for the input. I am very interested in the psychiatric stuff and will pick up the book you recommended. I will also check out the article. I can't believe how profoundly I was affected psychiatrically, it is really scary.
the scary part is that so many doctors, including the psych ones, don't seem to be aware of this.  here's one more article for you:
http://www.psychiatrist.com/pcc/pccpdf/v05n06/v05n0603.pdf