Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
went to ent and now what?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

went to ent and now what?
well, just got back from ent.  he wouldn't even look at the ultrasound pics.  he said it's not a good way to evaluate lymph nodes because it looks fuzzy and distorts lymph nodes.  he even went so far to say that i shouldn't have ultrasounds of my neck anymore.  he said that the radiologist could've mistaken the left supraclavicular lymph node for a muscle.  
he uses only ct scans to evaluate lymph nodes.  he offered nothing other than getting another ct scan.  i had one from august 29th 2012 that he looked at that showed the left supraclavicular lymph node, but he said it's too small because it's 5mm.  but that's the short axis, right?  the ultrasound said the lymph node is 2 x .5 x .7 cm.  that would verify the ct, right?
i don't know what type of response i'm looking for, but that wasn't it.  i guess i was hoping he would do an fna to rule out anything or that he could explain the ultrasound images to me.  i was hoping that he'd look at the lymph node and tell me why it's normal!  i'm very concerned and frustrated.
what do you suggest?
thanks!
Yes, ENTs rely more on CT criteria for lymph nodes but are now beginning to use US -- best done by the ENT after he/she is trained in US evaluation.  The dimensions you give sound like a benign, flat lymph node that we would usually watch, but this will be up to your doctors.

i have a second opinion scheduled for monday..  hopefully this will give me answers.