Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
what happens with hashimotos after gland removal

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

well...I guess the title is really the question I have in mind!

If I had my thyroid removed, what happens with the Hashimotos?  How will Hashimotos affect the quality of my life, what kinds of things will I need to continue to look for?

I had my biopsy done, which shows Beneign multiple nodules, and hashi.  I am going to go for a second opinion on how to take care of myself, as I want a doctor to explain things to me, as opposed to rushing off to his next patient.

If and when I do eventuallly have my goiter removed, what happens to Hashimotos?   I have a lot on my plate, ie: lupus, fybromylagia, leukemia and hashimotos, and my wishful thinking is, that if I take out the thyroid the hashimotos will disappear..boy am I silly or what?  :-)

thank you for your time to answer this question.

Cindy
Most hashimoto's patients do not have other autoimmune diseases.  After removing the thyroid, the focus is still on adequate replacement with thyroid hormone.  The immune system will likely "remember" the attack on the thyroid for years, but it is not known to commonly attack other body parts.
What would cause a patient with Hashimoto's to need to get the gland removed?  I understand that Hashimoto's is already killing it so what would be a need for removal?  Any info will help.
Thanks.