Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
white patches fingernails
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

white patches fingernails

Hi, I suppose this isn't a Thyroid question, but I thought it might be a metabolic problem and if you could help.  All during my youth,  I had these solid white patches under my fingernails in different spots, on and off....Very obvious white spots that aren't normally there.   I had always wondered about it,   in the last 3 years I've been sick first with a bad headache disorder , then lately with atypical chest pain,  wild BP and pulse swings,  etc

I have a heavily calcified bone tumor in the head (benign),   and the rest is unexplained.   could there be a connection?
Related Discussions
97953_tn?1193367871
I am not sure about the tumor connection.  White spots under the nails may be a zinc deficiency -- a multivitamin may help that.
3 Comments
Blank
125112_tn?1217277462
I agree, it could be from zinc deficiency. My recommendation would be, if you supplement with Zinc...eat a food first. Alone, it really bothered my stomach. Just thought to mention.

Best,
~Kate
Blank
I take zinc and still get white spots. From what I have read the spots are due to damage to the nail, like bumping the nail. They only disappear when the nail grows. Although, don't know if we are referring to the same type of spots.

GL
Blank
A related discussion, White spots/lines on fingernails was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now