Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
year after benign thyroid biopsy

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

year after benign thyroid biopsy
ok here it goes shortly after my divorce i started smoking and had complications like a feeling of a lump in my throat and alot of coughing and stuff so doctors had me have a ultrasound and a biopsy and i was told my nodules on thyroid were benign and to come back in a year. Well stupid me still having not quit smoking but cut way back and my cough seems to be worse at times and my throat on fire and still feels like lump in my throat. Is it normal to feel like my throat is on fire and also when i go back what tests might they do just curious and quite frank rather nervous. i do know that i have also been diagnosed with mitrale valve prolapse which the doctors later changed to acid reflux if this matters at all.
The thyroid nodule(s) won't likely cause "throat on fire" symptoms -- that is more likely the acid reflux or smoking.  The usual followup after thyroid biopsy is repeat ultrasound in 6-12 months.