Another surgery or not
I recently had a partial thyroidectomy for what was thought to be a benign lesion on my left thyroid,however, the histopathology report diagnosed it " FOLLICULAR VARIANT OF PAPILLARY CARCINOMA".

The doctors are suggesting a total thyroidectomy even though the right lobe and the nymph nodes aren't affected.

Can't radioactive iodine be used to destroy the cancerous cells left instead of having to do another surgery and having to use L Thyroxine for life.

Please reply urgently.

I am not an expert or medical professional at all.

How large was the finding?

Looking back, for me it's been 7 yrs and every year I have to have an ultrasound to watch my other side and now I'm actually on meds as if I had a total .. just the other day I asked myself, "why again didn't they just take the whole thing out".  But I know the answer rationally.  So I hear what you're saying.

My two cents is if the findings are large enough or in accordance with the AMA to have removal I'd go for it.

And

Get a 2nd or 3rd opinion.  I had quite a few myself.

C~