Thyroid Cancer Community
Any suggestions for for my thyroid ultrasound.

Thyroid cancer is a thyroid tumor that is malignant. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments, surgical options and living with thyroid cancer.

Below are the findings that I received for my thyroid ultrasound. I had one doctor recommend that I do a biopsy, and another say that I should just remove my thyroid regardless because even if the nodules are benign they need to be removed. Another doctor also recommended doing a radioiodine scan instead of a biopsy in order determine if cancer is present. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Findings:

Thyroid gland measures 4.0 x 2.4 x 2 cm on the right and 3.9 x 1.4 x 1.3 on the left. There is a 2.9 x 1.9 x 1.4-cm heterogenous, solid-appearing nodule on the right thyroid gland. Nodules of this size are often considered for biopsy. If biopsy is not performed, follow up is recommend.

There is also a 9-mm isthmus hypoechoic nodule. Small lymph nodes seen about the right and left neck.

Impression:

There is a 2.9-cm dominant right lobe thyroid nodule. Recommend biopsy of follow up.
Hi, Lara...Just read your post as I have been on the internet far too much trying to find out as much as I can about nodules and thyroid cancer.  I had a high resolution ultrasound on Nov. 29.  Got my results and I am being referred to a End. doc. by my ENT.  Mine does not give measurements of Thyroid Gland, but reads as follows:  6.1 mm homogenous oval solid nodule with 2-3 small calcifications in the right lobe of the thyroid superiorly, 4mm homogenous oval solid nodule in the right lobe of the thyroid inferiorly. Few small benign cysts measuring less than 5 mm. Left Lobe: Single benign 4 mm cyst. Isthmus, normal.  Nodes, none.  Other, none.  THE CALCIFICATIONS are what scares me.  From all that I have read, that puts that nodule in a much higher chance of being malignant.  Calcifications are generally a red flag.  Waiting on the END. doc to call now.  I am so nervous, I cannot eat.  I sure hope your nodules all turn out to be benign.  THIS IS NO FUN IS IT?  
Sorry for not responding sooner,

It definitely is no fun at all. I ended up doing a radioidine scan, they don't think it's cancer but they prescribed me synthroid and I am supposed to get reevaluated in a month. Hope everything is alright with you
The RAI scan is useless if the TSH levels are not supressed.
In this case biopsy is the best diagnosis tool if performed properly.
Based ion the current practice both nodules should be biopsied (smaller nodule in ishtmus needs more attention than larger one)
thank you for the response, here are the results of the RAI scan... I'm not sure what you mean by having the TSH levels suppressed, could you explain it some more? Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

Thyroid Uptake Study

Indication: Thyroid nodules

Comparison: None

Discussion: 315 microcuries of I123 was given orally. Six hour images were obtained with six hour and 24 uptake values

The six hour uptake value was 6%. This is borderline normal. The 24 hours uptake value was 8.5%. This is low.

No focal hot or cold defects are seen.

Impression: Low levels of iodine uptake. Correlate for hypothyroidism
Since 85-90% of cold thyroid nodules on scans are also benign,it doesn't really tell you anything about whether or not the nodules are cancer.And just like an ultrasound,it's only giving us an image not telling us what *cells* are actually in the nodules,so obviously the thyroid FNA biopsy tells you much more.