Thyroid Cancer Community
Can a biopsy results be wrong? Please Help!!!

Thyroid cancer is a thyroid tumor that is malignant. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments, surgical options and living with thyroid cancer.

I am a 43 yrs old female with no cancer history in both side of my parents. I've had a 0.8cm nodule in my thyroid for about a year without growing. I had a scan done and it came out as cold nodule so I had a biopsy done and it came back suspecious so they called it thyroid papillary carcinoma. Now I am having a total thyroidectomy. The nurse told me the results did not say 100%.  I am very scared. My life and the life of my family have changed so much. No one is saying anything or smilling anymore, everyone is so so scared. Our world feels upside down.

I need to know if the results can be wrong and if anyone has survived papillary cancer for many years? Please I need hope.
If it is only suspicious, what did they use to make that jump? .8 cm is quite small, they usually don't even do a biopsy until it reaches 1 cm. Where is the nodule? If if is solidly in one lobe, you should go with a lobectomy, they take out the 1/2 of your thyroid with the nodule. I don't know where you live, sometimes other countries do things differently. Did you have a thyroid panel? Any elevated numbers? Any symptoms? What are the nodule's characteristics?...solid?, irregular borders?...calcifications?  Nothing you have said so far tells me that it is definately cancer. Even if it turns out to be cancer, it is very small. Thyroid cancer is HIGHLY survivable and curable. Most people after removal never have any more trouble. ChitChat9 is on this forum, she had a lobectomy after discovery of cancer in one lobe only, she has not had any trouble since. Private message her, she can tell you more. Go to the navigation bar above, under "My Medhelp" look up ChitChat9 or ChitChatnine and private message her, she can tell you a lot.   I can tell you I had several foci of cancer, my thyroid is totally gone, I am fine. I know of several people who have had papillary thyroid cancer, me included, that are alive and well long after we were diagnosed. Please do some research, and it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion, especially about the lobectomy vs. thyroidectomy.
The nodule is solid and there is only one. When they did the iodine scan the nodule did not absorbed or react to the iodine. It is located in the lower right side close to the vocal cords and doctors cant believe how i can feel it since it is very small. The throat doctor told me that the biopsy indicates that there seems to be cancer cells so he said it is papillary thyroid carcinoma. Both the throat doctor and the surgeon said I should have a total thyroidectomy to make sure it didnt send any cancer cells to the other side.

This is so scary just thinking that after a while cancer can come back. I am sorry to be such a coward but I am not a strong person. So happy to see people like you with such a great attitude. Thank u
Most people hear the word "cancer", and immediately panic, and fear for their life. If you had to get cancer, this would be the best possible one to get. It is highly common, highly curable, and will likely not alter your life span in any way. You need to start doing some research, and talking to others that have been there, as you are doing now. You will gain strength from knowledge. Good luck to you.
Katy
Thank u katycat79.

I would like to talk to thyroid cancer survivors specially the ones that have survived for so many years so it gives me hope.
I have Medullary Thyroid Cancer, a much more deadly kind, and with no cure. When diagnosed with it, I had a complete Thyroidectomy. Finding that the cancer had spread to bone, including legs, shoulders, ribs, skull, and spine, as well as lungs and liver, I was told I was at stage 4, and given 2 months-two years to live. Though this is a slow growing cancer, it is not curable. To make a long story short, I fought like hell, undergoing 12 years of chemo, and several rounds of radiation. Diagnosis was in 1994. I am now a 17 year survivor and still in clinical remission. Your attitude is half the battle.
What a great example you are for everybody. You are definitely an inspiration. I wish you long and happy life.