Difference between T3 and T4
My son is about to have his RAI treatment after a total thyroidectomy and is wondering if it would be reasonable to do the switch over to T3 during his college exam period.  Is he likely to experience a significant change due to the different medication that would interfere with his performance?  This would allow him to be hypo during his spring break and then only miss a week or two the next quarter for the actual RAI.  Doc doesn't want him to wait until summer and he would prefer not to entirely miss the next quarter.  He is an exceptional student, so he can make up a week or two of class. Waiting to switch until after exams would make him miss more school, which he'd like to avoid.  Thanks for your help.
Hi there!

T3 is the active form of the hormone and has a shorter half life, while T4 is converted into T3 before it can act on target organs and one cannot be replaced empirically by the other. Natural hormone contains both T3 and T4. In case a substitution between the two is required, a change in dosage may be suggested under supervision and writer prescription of a medical practioner. I would suggest consulting his endocrinologist for the same.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!