Do I HAVE to get radiation???
I just had the 2 year anniversary yesterday of my partial thyroidectomy.  That was later used to determine that I had Papillary Follicular Variant cancer with a 2 cm nodule that was encapsulated.  I had the 2nd half removed shortly there after.  Immediately after the 2nd surgery, my chronically swollen neck finally returned to normal...until about a year ago.  The endo, ENT, and family doc all proclaimed me as "normal" and said they could find no reason for the swelling.  It's still swollen, it's getting more and more painful like my throat is full or someone is choking me, yet docs say they can't find a thing.  

My original endo said it was up to me if I got iodine radiation and that I was at a 50/50 chance of the cancer coming back either way so it wasn't necessary.  My latest endo totally freaked out that I should've most definitely gotten then and is adamant that I should have it now!  Old endo and family doc said that monitoring my thyroglobulin level every 6 months would be sufficient to ensure the cancer didn't return, and if it rose, then I'd have radiation.  New endo says that in order for my thyroglobulin level to rise enough to alert us to cancer, I'd have to so much cancer in me that I'd be dead.  So who is right?  

I spent a year after my completion thyroidectomy convinced that I was cancer free and had no worries.  Now I have multiple doctors blowing off my constantly painful and swollen lymph nodes (neck, groin, etc.) and I'm not even certain that they know what the hell they are doing?  What should I do?  Which doc do I listen to as far as the radiation?
How are you? I understand your concern regarding your management plan. Indeed it is difficult to decide with two opposing views from your doctors. Seeking another endocrinologist's opinion may help as long as the results of your diagnostic tests and copy of your previous operations are present. A referral from your attending may be indicated. Factors such as the symptoms present, your medical history and recent results of diagnostic tests and your over all health are important considerations. Take care and do keep us posted.