Thyroid Cancer Community
Follicular Carcinoma

Thyroid cancer is a thyroid tumor that is malignant. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments, surgical options and living with thyroid cancer.

Follicular Carcinoma

Hi, I'm hoping to get some clarity on the findings of my biopsy report.  I don't have it in front of me, but the report listed a few different type of cells. Follicular Carcinoma is the one my Endocronologist is concerned about. At the end of the biopsy report it stated a full removal of the thyroid is needed regardless of the Afirma testing. The Afirma testing came back as Benign. But my Dr. Believes a full thyroid removal is still needed.  That the Afirma testing is only 85% accurate.  
My Endocroncronolgist believes it's malignant. And doesn't want to chance leaving it in.
Or is it common to take it out just to check?

If there is a contradiction in the reports, th  second opinion is required. Usually, a lobe containing nodule in question has to be removed.
Do you know what the likelihood is that this is what the original biopsy stated?
In order to say that I need to read the pathology report;
also I will look for is the incomplete and contradicting data.
Follicular cancer is not the one digansed by biopsy; the biopsy can show follicular neoplasm that has 20% chance of cancer.
This is what the Report stated.
The differential diagnosis for the right lobe lesion includes cellular adenomatoid nodule, follicular adenoma, follicular carcinoma and follicular variant of papillary carcinoma. A neoplasm is favored on cytologic grounds, and excision is recommended regardless of the outcome of the Afirma assay.
Go ahad and do the surgery remove both i had this i waited 4 years becausei said oh its not cancer and it was plz do but make shure you have good surgeon  and make sure that he do not hit ur vocol cord during the surgery