Thyroid Cancer Community
Found A typical cells

Thyroid cancer is a thyroid tumor that is malignant. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments, surgical options and living with thyroid cancer.

Found A typical cells

I am new to this site and glad to have found it. I have had a FNB that came back back inconclusive then another that came back benign. I felt the lump was pushing on my vocal cords as it was in the back and it irritated me. 2 weeks ago i had the left side removed. I spoke with my dr yesterday and he informed me that my results were sent away for further investigation as the biopsy done here showed A-Typical cells and abnormal cells. So the surgeon informed me that we are not out of the woods yet and that it was a good thing I pressed to have it removed. ( we have A LOT of cancer in my family) So now I need to wait until the end if next week for diagnosis! Freakin g out  a it here. How often does A typical cell mean cancer? Most of what I have found tells me it is either cancer, pre- cancer that will become cancer or it is at the beginning stage just turning cancer. Is all this correct?
Really not looking forward to slither surgery. My cousin was just diagnosed this summer with lymphoma and is really struggling. Hoping if this is cancer it has not spread to my lymph nodes!
Any info would be great!!!
Thanks!!!
Hi Irishgirl75, Unfortunately FNB is not 100% effective in diagnosing thyroid cancer.  The good news is that nearly all thyroid cancers are 100% curable.  So, try not to worry too much.  I just had a benign nodule removed because of compression symptoms, and the pathology report was benign.  I was not going to have FNB because I was getting it removed regardless.  When I met with my surgeon, he convinced me to have the biopsy because he said if it was cancer or inconclusive, he would remove all of the thyroid.  If it was benign, he would only remove half.  Also, lymphoma is a different kind of cancer then a thyroid cancer that has spread to the nymph nodes.  I got the FNB, and both the initial, and further pathology said benign.  They told me that they did find a-typical cells, but that was common.  They recommended follow-up ultrasound in a year.  Like I said, I had already decided to get it out because I didn't want to take any chances that it could become cancer later.   My surgery went very smoothly, and I am very happy with the doctors and hospital I chose.  If you need to have further surgery, then go to someone who is highly specialized in this kind of surgery.  My endocrinologist referred me to a general surgeon.  I really didn't want to be someone's practice job.  I got online and found the chief of head and neck surgery  at Johns Hopkins Hospital, and went to him.  Very glad I did. I hope this information is helpful.  Remember that you are not alone, and many have walked this path before you.
7 yrs ago my nodules FNA were atypical .. I had a partial and the original two nodules that were atypical on the FNA were TOTALLY BENIGN !!!! ..  But, upon final biopsy they found two very small (4 & 5mm) micro-papillary cancer nodules in the same gland.  So the good news is that yes, atypical as in my case can mean adenomas (overgrowth of thyroid tissue) or can be cancer or be benign .. they aren't normal and need further investigation.

Hang in there .. sometimes not knowing is the hardest part.

C~