Heat Exhaustion
Today was another hot day in Southern California. I spent 6 hours in 100+ heat yesterday, and didn't hydrate properly, then attended an outside brunch today. I was sweating quite a bit, but didn't really think much of it. A couple of hours in, and I was suddenly hit with stomach cramping, shaking, headache, nausea, and diarrhea. Before the diarrhea hit, I was able to get to my car, where I turned the a/c on full blast, and laid back. I was also feeling faint, and was afraid I was going to pass out right then and there. Things did start to go black, but I managed to hang on. Anyway, I tried to drive around to find a restroom, but could not find one in time. Ugh!!  When I did make it home, I was able to get inside and clean up. All this to say, I am single, and did not have anyone to ask for help in this embarrassing situation, but I believe I should have gotten to the ER instead of going home. Hours later, I am feeling very weak, head is still aching, and stomach is still fighting the diarrhea. I have been under a fan, and have been hydrating the best I can, but I don't have anything here to replace electrolytes. If I don't feel better in the morning, what should I do? Should I consider going to the doctor? And, can we use this is an example of what not to do when you are already more susceptible to heat sensitivity?
Hi there!

This is likely to be an episode of stomach flu. I would suggest taking plenty of fluids with added salt and sugar to keep the body adequately hydrated (Plain water with added salt and sugar would do). If at anytime you feel dizzy or faint or see blood in stools, I would suggest seeing a doctor.
Hope this helps.

Take care!