Thyroid Cancer Community
Is it normal to cough up bloody mucous after surgery?

Thyroid cancer is a thyroid tumor that is malignant. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments, surgical options and living with thyroid cancer.

Hello,  I just had a lobectomy on my left side on Friday.  It was supposed to be outpatient but my blood pressure was really low and I felt like I couldn't take a deep breath so they admitted me. My question, is it normal to cough up bloody mucous after thyroid surgery and for how long?  It happened in the hospital and was told by the resident that it was due to the breathing tube.  It is now 2 days later and I am still coughing it up. I coughed it up about 3 times yesterday and twice this morning so far.  Thanks for any input.  
Hi there!

No, it is not normal to cough up blood following a thyroidectomy/ lobectomy but could occur due to the trauma caused by the breathing tube or due to other reasons such as infections, inflammations etc. Increased blood pressure could also complicate the situation. As long as the doctor does not suspect it to be anything serious, I would suggest not worrying about it. With benign causes and settled blood pressure, it should be better in a few days or maximum a week or two.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Hi,  How are you feeling now .. Hope better.

Welcome to our Community!

C~
I completed thyroid surgery today, June 5, 2012 - benign lump and also coughed up thick bloody mucus 4 times today.  I was told the same, that it was a result of my breathing tube.  I'm 42, normal blood pressure, and on no medications. I hope it clears up in a few days and doesn't get worse.
Yes it should.   Mine was all cleared by day 4.  My surgeon insisted it was due to trama from the breathing tube and not from the surgical site.  However if you are throwing up blood versus coughing it up, an ER visit or call to your doctor would be warranted.
I had a few cyst removed from my thyroid on Aug 15, 2012. The first day after surgery was a breeze. A few days later I caught a real bad cold, suffy nose, gooey eyes in the morning, coughing all the time and phlegm (so no sleeping at all)...I have had this for over a week now and am going crazy. My throat is swelling up a bit due to all the coughing and clearing my throat of the phlegm. Dr. said not to worry and I must have caught something due to my immune system being low. I sure hope this goes away soon, I'm a bit worried about the damage I may have cause inside my throat.