Thyroid Cancer Community
Just found out Thyroid Cancer

Thyroid cancer is a thyroid tumor that is malignant. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments, surgical options and living with thyroid cancer.

Just found out Thyroid Cancer

Hi, I am a 34 years old.  I had my whole thyroid removed last Friday.My biospies came back inclusive, have several large nodlue,and was highly recommended to get the thyroid removed.   It was very imflammed ( Hashimoto's), they took 6 lymth nodes b/c they were also inflammed. I had my calcium drop very low so was in the hospital for 5 days.  I am on 13 pills a day. My levels went up but I am still having trouble with vision, hands/feet/lips being tingling and numb. First anyone have this problem and how long did it take for these signs to go away???

Second my pathology came back that it's cancer!! I was shocked.. I will be meeting with my surgeron on Tuesday to go over everything.  My PD called and told me and said that I would not need the iodine pills after???I am super confused b/c everything that I researched says no matter what you should b/c there could be some thyroid cells still!!
Please any input would wonderful!!!
Hi, similar stories. It will be 2 years this August since I had my whole thyroid removed. Can't begin to describe the emotions when I was told that my results came back as cancer. I too was surprised when I was told I would not need the radiated iodine pills My diagnosis was Hurthle Cell and it does not respond to the iodine. So I am on a repressed therapy. Higher dose of Synthroid to keep any thyroid cancer cells repressed and not growing. Hang in there, thoughts and prayers are with you
Did they say what kind of thyroid cancer it is? As previously mentioned, not all thyroid cancer is treated the same. In my case, being diagnosed with medullary thyroid cancer, the radioactive iodine was not effective either. Just know that almost all thyroid cancer is highly treatable, and curable. I was diagnosed with stage 4 medullary in 1994 with mets to bones and organs, and given 2 months to 2 years to live. I have had alot of surgeries, and a lot of treatments, but I'm still here, and you will be too.
Thanks for all the responds!!!! I do not know what kind of cancer b/c I have not met with my surgeron, I go Tuesday or he will be calling on Monday. Did you guys have calcium problems?  I have been having the tingling still, vision, numbness I can't fucntion at all!! Having three children it's very hard.  I'm on tons of calciu pills... Hoping this feeling is over soon., Also how did your throat fel after??  I get sharp pains into my ears, and throat feels not right!!! Thank you so much for your responds it's great to hear from other people out there who have or going through this:)
My Endo had me take tums several times a day to increase my calcium levels. I never had any real problems with any of those symptoms you are describing, except for numbess, tingling, and stabbing pains where the incision was on my neck. I also recall feeling as if I was swallowing over a lump in my throat. All those went away after a while.
Did they mention if the cancer that was found on final biopsy was in the same nodules as they biopsied inconclusive or was it found in a different area of your thyroid after the surgery when they examine everything?  Mine was found afterwards .. the orig. nodules were benign.

C~
HI Everyone

I met with my surgeron today.. It came back papillary carcinoma(microcarcinoma) ... Very small cancer.. The tumor was confined to the thyroid tissue and does not extend to the inked outer surface of thyroid. All my nodules about 10 - 12 total came back no maliganancy!! He said that I don't need the radiation pills... Did anyone still have them???
My two incidental findings were same type of thy cancer as yours.  I didn't have to have the radiation pill either.  From what my dr said and I've read online .. they say that 30% of all those who are given an autopsy have these types of small tumors.  There are studies and recommendations out there .. I think there are a few in the health pages that were posted a few years ago about these types of findings.

I'm followed every year for extensive bloodwork and also ultrasound to be sure no recurrence.

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=1028

C~