Radiation resistant thyroid cancer
Over six years ago my husband was diagnosed with poorly-differentiated thyroid cancer. For cancer treatment he had his thyroid removed, received radioactive iodine, and external beam radiation.  After five cancer-free years the thyroid cancer came back in his left lung.  He received radioactive iodine, and external beam radiation (both at very high levels) and we thought we were in the clear.  Two weeks ago we discovered that it is back in the same spot on his lung.  His doctor said he has never seen thyroid cancer resist radiation before.  He claims that radiation will no longer help and says we have to look at other treatments.  Removing the tumor is not an option due to size and location.

My question is there any of you have this type of experience with radiation NOT working?  Also, if you can share your experiences with "other treatment options" with me that would be very helpful.
Which type of Thyroid cancer is it? If it is in his lung, why are they not able to surgically remove it? I have had 2/3 of my right lung removed so the "size and location" issue is confusing me. Have they discussed chemotherapy options?
Thank you for your response.
As mentioned it is PDTC.   We were told by two different surgeons in Seattle, WA that they would most likely have to take the whole lung.  Also it is sitting very close to a major artery so both were hesitant to recommend the operation.  
Yes, chemo has been mentioned, but the medical oncologist we spoke to did not make us feel as though thyroid cancer responded well to the current chemo. drugs.
We are trying to get an appointment at MD Anderson in TX.
Have you had experience with successful chemo.  treatment?  If so, do you remember the type.  What was your type of thyroid cancer?  Best of luck to you.

Tam
There are four different types of Thyroid Cancer. Follicular, Medullary, Anaplastic, and Papillary. "poorly differentiated" is just a term to describe your particular cancer. It is probably Follicular.
I have Medullary Carcinoma and was sent to M D Anderson. I did chemo, and it saved my life. Was diagnosed at stage 4 with mets to organs and bones. Mine is not curable, but the chemo knocked it back and has kept it that way.
Again ,thank you for your response and sharing of your knowledge.  My husband's original diagnosis was differentiated Follicular, but the 2nd time around we found it to be "poorly diff."  

We are still trying for MD Anderson.

May you continue to have good health and spirits.  You are so very kind to answer my question.

tam