Thyroid Cancer Community
Right lobe or all

Thyroid cancer is a thyroid tumor that is malignant. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments, surgical options and living with thyroid cancer.

Right lobe or all

The follicular cells discovered in a 2.6 nodule were indeterminate. Little colloid, some blood circulation in the central area. I am 69, have several nodules all over the place that are smaller and many in my family have similar troubles having been on thyroid medicine for many years..mother, uncle, aunt, and two of my daughters. Never cancer. It is the indeterminate that troubles me. I would like to have only the right lobe removed--that is easy to decide. But if that nodule is found to be malignant, how long before I should go after the left and get the iodine treatment? Or am I better off plucking the little bugger out and going without a thyroid? Determination of malignancy or benign can only be done with lab work on the actual thyroid tissue.
Any insights or avenues that I am missing. I decided not to spend $3000 on a new diagnostic tool called Affirma. A specimen is sent to a lab where it can be genetically researched. Medicare has just approved it. There are some further caveats with this test but not entirely sure what they are.
Blood in the biopsy sample may displace colloid, if needle hits the large blood vessel and this may alter the results.If you cannot have Afirma test for some reason, repeat the biopsy under live Doppler color flow to get better sampling.
I did see the doppler and that showed blood flow as well. Not a lot but definately present.
Thank you for your input.