Thyroid Cancer Community
Suspicious nodule. Second opinion? Options?

Thyroid cancer is a thyroid tumor that is malignant. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments, surgical options and living with thyroid cancer.

I had a biopsy done on 2 nodules, one right (1/2 cm), one left (1 cm). The left came back as "suspicious". During the same phone conversation with my doctor that I found out, he said he was scheduling me to meet with the surgeon. Then he told me that the surgeon would remove the entire thyroid as well as my lymph nodes.
Maybe I'm missing something huge here, but I would think the nodule should be biopsied again or a scan completed. I will be going to Dana Farber on Monday, with my slides, for a second opinion.
My background is this:
-I am 36 years old
-Difficulty swallowing (which prompted the first ultrasound, which showed nodules of no concern to doctor #1)
-Follow-up with new doctor, where he ordered blood work. Perfect levels, but said not to cancel Endo appointment
-Endo did ultrasound in office, nodules looked solid, did biopsy (2 sweeps each, left one was painful!)
-Strongly believe the difficulty swallowing was allergies now
To me, the thyroidectomy seems like the last resort, not the first choice.
Suspicious is nothing to ignore. At 44, I had difficulty swallowing, hoarseness and other symptoms...my labs were all good except I had Hashimotos.  I had 4 nodules, three right and one left. I got an indifferent result on biopsy, "benign follicular clusters"...the clustering was what made them suspicious. I had only the right side taken out, hoping it would cure all my physical ailments, but they did find cancer.  Six weeks later, I had the other half taken out, they found the biggest tumor there, that was the nodule they weren't worried about. Thyroid cancer is very hard to diagnose. Your Endo must believe that it will be beneficial to have it removed. You could ask for only the  larger one to be removed and tested, then make a decision to remove the rest later. Did your nodules have vascularity? Calcifications? With those you have a 1 in 5 chance of cancer, is that enough to have them removed?
No mention yet about calcification or vascularity. My endo was a bit vague so all I have reference is my lab report right now. I guess I'm just confused. And terrified.
Ask him/her to fax you the results and any results in the future, you should get them in writing. No need for you to know less than your doctor. Everything is available on the net.
I got my secondary pathologist report from Dana Farber. Still suspicious for papillary cancer, but not follicular. The nodule is so small (1cm) and I have no family history, perfect thyroid levels. I'm opting for the partial thyroidectomy. If it is cancerous, then I go back in and face the consequences. To me, I just have to try to save as much as I can...
I don't blame you for wanting to keep as much as you can, that would be my choice too.  I am in the wait and watch stage right now.  I have one large noduld, 3.3x2.8, and the biopsy was benign.  My endo and I agree to wait six months and redo labs and ultrasound again to check for changes and growth.  I have a feeling that I will be having it out at some point and I will want to keep half my thyroid if that is an option.  Even if I have to go in again later to take the rest, at least I can say I tried.  Hope it comes out well for you.  
I once walked where you are now.

5 yrs ago my nodule came back atypical, too.

Had a partial.

Frozen biopsy was 100% benign.  Closed me up.  Only 1/2 removed.

Final biopsy found two micro-papillary foci ... totally encapsulated.

I had many 2nd opinions and for now the other side is still intact with ultrasounds every year.

I know how hard this is .. I am very glad I had mine out (1/2)., but I was one of the 20% who's other side never worked again and am on Synthroid for life regardless of my results.  So sometimes I just wish the whole thing came out so I don't live on the roller coaster every year checkup time.