Thyroid Cancer Community
TSH increase
About This Community:

Thyroid cancer is a thyroid tumor that is malignant. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments, surgical options and living with thyroid cancer.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

TSH increase

Hi,

My TT was in 07/2011 for a 1cm nodule with undeterminate lymph nodes metastasis (psamomma bodies in one LN but no metastatic disease, four other LN neg), highly unlikely extrathyroidal extension, clear margins.  There were two 2 mm foci in both lobes also.  My cancer was conventional papillary.  I am 42 yo male.  My post TT ultrasound five months ago showed no sign of residual disease and at that point my was Tg undetectable.  I was put on 137mcg Synthroid and was advised no RAI but careful management and observation.

My TSH after I started on Synthroid was very low and it gradually increased to 0.10 in 11/2011.  My latest blood work on 02/2012 indicated that my TSH has increased to 1.3.  This is higher than the 0.1-0.5.  My Synthroid dose has been increased to 150mcg to bring it to that suppressed range.

My question is that I am concerned that my high TSH will cause thyroid tissue to grow and increase the chance of recurrence.  I am concerned that because I did not have RAI, I have remnant thyroid tissue and because I had multifocal disease, my risk of recurrence would increase because of this high TSH.  I feel fine and not hypothyroid.  I would really appreciate your input on this.  Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Thank you!