I am awaiting the reslts of a biopsy. I had a FNA done last week. While doing the FNA the doctor discovered calcification arond the nodal. This was not seen on the ltra sond i had done last month. It was also not in any the report. I have 4 nodals bt they only looked at one as the others were jst nder 1cm. Does the fact that there is calcification increase the risk of it being cancer? Not sre what to expect and still waiting for them to get me in for a follow p.
Yes, calcifications could be an indication of cancer, but not always. Thyroid cancer is very hard to diagnose. If you had the biopsy a week ago, you should have your results. Were the nodules vascular? Were they solid and round or irregular borders? Lots of things point to cancer, but not always. There is no sure way to know unless they can extract cancerous cells during the biopsy or take out the thyroid and send it to the lab.
They did not say anything about the borders and the doctor took my only copy of my ultrasound report. As of today they still do not have the results. I just made an appoitment in hoopes the resluts are in this week. They had trouble getting a sample to look at. They finally said they were just going to use what they had amd were not trying anymore. This was three or four doctors later.
Thanks so much for posting your update. So sorry you have to have 1/2 out. Is the plan to take out the full thyroid if it comes back as Follicular Cancer when you are in surgery? I had a partial in 1/07 for atypical papillary nodules that eventually turned out okay but they found two other small findings elsewhere in the gland that were papillaries and this was after the surgery.
I will post below a good resource that's in our health pages by a great resource in NYC about your type of lesion in our Health Pages: A Collection of Thyroid Disorders Resources
Re the vocal cords. I think I'd see an ENT before the surgery to be certain what is or isn't going on from the FNA. This way you are all on the same playing field going into the surgery and you know who did what (if anything) prior and what the risks are (if added) due to the FNA being a tough one to obtain.
From what I've read on other posts, the vocal cord issues can resolve in a few weeks, but sometimes they need voice therapy, etc.
I am having it removed in 8 days. Thanks for all the info. I am getting it done by a robotic arm so i do not have a visable scare. Im trying to find out about how mong the surgey is and what i should expect the first day. The surgen said its a one day overnight stay.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.