Thyroid
I am awaiting the reslts of a biopsy. I had a FNA done last week. While doing the FNA the doctor discovered calcification arond the nodal. This was not seen on the ltra sond i had done last month. It was also not in any the report. I have 4 nodals bt they only looked at one as the others were jst nder 1cm. Does the fact that there is calcification increase the risk of it being cancer? Not sre what to expect and still waiting for them to get me in for a follow p.
Yes, calcifications could be an indication of cancer, but not always.  Thyroid cancer is very hard to diagnose.  If you had the biopsy a week ago, you should have your results. Were the nodules vascular?  Were they solid and round or irregular borders?  Lots of things point to cancer, but not always. There is no sure way to know unless they can extract cancerous cells during the biopsy or take out the thyroid and send it to the lab.
Hi and Welcome ..

The hardest part is waiting .. please let us know when you get the report.  Feel free to PM me, too.

C~
They did not say anything about the borders and the doctor took my only copy of my ultrasound report. As of today they still do not have the results. I just made an appoitment in hoopes the resluts are in this week. They had trouble getting a sample to look at. They finally said they were just going to use what they had amd were not trying anymore. This was three or four doctors later.
my results came back as a Follicular Lesion. I am having half my thyriod removed next week. Anyone have this happen to them?
Also i may have had vocal cord nerve dange while getting the biopsy done not sure whta they do for that?
Thanks so much for posting your update.  So sorry you have to have 1/2 out. Is the plan to take out the full thyroid if it comes back as Follicular Cancer when you are in surgery?  I had a partial in 1/07 for atypical papillary nodules that eventually turned out okay but they found two other small findings elsewhere in the gland that were papillaries and this was after the surgery.

I will post below a good resource that's in our health pages by a great resource in NYC about your type of lesion in our Health Pages:  A Collection of Thyroid Disorders Resources

http://www.medhelp.org/tags/health_page/11856/Thyroid-Disorders/A-Collection-of-Thyroid-Disorder-Resources?hp_id=496

Scroll down to the NY Thyroid Center

C~
partial 1/07
Re the vocal cords.  I think I'd see an ENT before the surgery to be certain what is or isn't going on from the FNA. This way you are all on the same playing field going into the surgery and you know who did what (if anything) prior and what the risks are (if added) due to the FNA being a tough one to obtain.

From what I've read on other posts, the vocal cord issues can resolve in a few weeks, but sometimes they need voice therapy, etc.

Here's a link from Dr. Lupo I found:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Thyroid-Cancer-Nodules--Hyperthyroidism/Voice-recovery-after-thyroid-surgery/show/632068

Also, vocal cord paralysis or damage (temp or perm) is a risk of thyroid surgery, so I'd be sure where I am at now.

When is your surgery?

I had to wait 9 weeks .. that was the longest time of my life.  

C~
I am having it removed in 8 days. Thanks for all the info. I am getting it done by a robotic arm so i do not have a visable scare. Im trying to find out about how mong the surgey is and what i should expect the first day. The surgen said its a one day overnight stay.
Stacy
has anyone had the devinci rebotic arm thyriod removal surgery before? From what i understand it gives the surgen a better view of what he is doing