Thyroid Surgery Recovery Expectations?
I am having a right lobectomy Friday.  I have a larger (4.3cm) nodule, benign on 2 biopsies but increased vascularity, 1cm growth in 6months, tenderness and mild difficulty swallowing so drs. agreed it should come out.  I am otherwise healthy, not exactly fit but healthy decent weight, no thyroid level issues, etc...what can I reasonably expect during the recovery.  I am praying and hoping for a quick recovery but know that it takes different amounts of time for different people.  My surgery will be outpatient and I'll go home the same day barring any complications.  There will be a frozen section in the OR and if any cancer happens to be found then they whole thing will come and I'll stay the night.  What are your best tips or advice for recovering?
Thank you!
How are you?  Complete healing and recovery may take up to six to eight months depending on the type of surgery, your medical history and over-all health. While symptoms such as stiff or sore neck muscles may be presemt, most patients return to their daily activities in a few days. It is recommended that you take home medications as prescribed and  strenuous activity and heavy lifting be avoided for at least a week. Neck exercises may also help prevent stiffness.  A follow-up visit with your surgeon after two or three weeks is also important for re-evaluation and to discuss pathology result and postoperative course. Take care and do keep us posted.
Hi, for most about a week off of work is necessary.  It took a while to be able to lift up grocery bags, etc. and quite a few months to level out meds.

C~