Thyroid Cancer Community
Thyroid Surgery Recovery Expectations?
About This Community:

Thyroid cancer is a thyroid tumor that is malignant. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments, surgical options and living with thyroid cancer.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Thyroid Surgery Recovery Expectations?

I am having a right lobectomy Friday.  I have a larger (4.3cm) nodule, benign on 2 biopsies but increased vascularity, 1cm growth in 6months, tenderness and mild difficulty swallowing so drs. agreed it should come out.  I am otherwise healthy, not exactly fit but healthy decent weight, no thyroid level issues, etc...what can I reasonably expect during the recovery.  I am praying and hoping for a quick recovery but know that it takes different amounts of time for different people.  My surgery will be outpatient and I'll go home the same day barring any complications.  There will be a frozen section in the OR and if any cancer happens to be found then they whole thing will come and I'll stay the night.  What are your best tips or advice for recovering?
Thank you!
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi,
How are you?  Complete healing and recovery may take up to six to eight months depending on the type of surgery, your medical history and over-all health. While symptoms such as stiff or sore neck muscles may be presemt, most patients return to their daily activities in a few days. It is recommended that you take home medications as prescribed and  strenuous activity and heavy lifting be avoided for at least a week. Neck exercises may also help prevent stiffness.  A follow-up visit with your surgeon after two or three weeks is also important for re-evaluation and to discuss pathology result and postoperative course. Take care and do keep us posted.
Blank
168348_tn?1379360675
Hi, for most about a week off of work is necessary.  It took a while to be able to lift up grocery bags, etc. and quite a few months to level out meds.

C~
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank