Thyroid Cancer Community
Thyroid diseases and B12 and Folic Acid...

Thyroid cancer is a thyroid tumor that is malignant. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments, surgical options and living with thyroid cancer.

For all those that have been diagnosed with some kind of thyroid disease, has your drs checked you for low b12 and folic acid? I'm going Wednesday to have it checked but I have to request it. I'm told by several friends and family that their drs said that they check those automatically when thyroid problems are diagnosed. I'm frustrated that mine has never been checked and I have ALL but one of the symptoms of both
Hypothyroidism slows down metabolism and causes the parietal cells in the stomach to produce less stomach (hydrochloric) acid. Low stomach acid leads to nutrient deficiencies especially B12 deficiency.  Optimal vitamin B12 serum is over 800pg/mL or 600pmol/L.  

Without vitamin B12, folate is trapped in a form that is unusable by the body. Vitamin D deficiency is one of the most common deficiency state with hypothyroidism. Iron deficiency is another common deficiency state. Ferritin (iron storage) levels deplete first before affecting iron serum levels.

Vitamin B12 deficiency is commonly misdiagnosed. See a great article on this: "B12 deficiency: a silent epidemic with serious consequences" by Chris Kresser.
I was diagnosed with suspicious for papillary thyroid carcinoma a month ago and a couple of month before I had blood test done and it showed I had a deficiency in vitamin B12 and D.
Vitamin D deficiency can mimic thyroid problems, too, have them check it.