Thyroid Cancer Community
Thyroid surgery

Thyroid cancer is a thyroid tumor that is malignant. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments, surgical options and living with thyroid cancer.

Thyroid surgery

I am confused. I have had 3 ultrasounds since September of 2010. My nodule went from 3.2-4.2 cm in that time. My 2 biopsies came back inconclusive and suspicious. My genetic reading came back indeterminate and suspicious. I have scheduled a surgery for September 14, 2012.

Today my ultrasound came back 3.9cm. My TSH came back today also at .35 (with normal .49-4.87). Doctor said Hyperactive. When I asked, "so the nodule got smaller" he kind of fluffed over it and said I had made the right decision for surgery. (That decision has not been easy)

If the nodule has gotten smaller- shouldn't my course of action be different?
am age 71 and had my right thyroid removed at 2 pm one day and was up walking the next morning.  The surgeon dismissed me from the hospital at 10 am the day after surgery.  I didn't have to take any pain medication.  Yes my throat was sore for 2 days, but I drank beef bouillon and hot green tea and it soothed my throat.  Heat was much soothing than cold on my throat.  Clear liquid diet is what you must have for the first three days.  I was able to drive my car on the 4th day after surgery.  I was able to eat tuna salad on the 5th day.  I was able to eat at the restaurant on the 6th day after surgery.  I ate oatmeal for breakfast every morning beginning the 3rd day after surgery.  The stitch was removed at the doctor's office on the 7th day and I drove myself to his office and then went shopping afterwards after eating lunch with my friends.  Yes, each person is very different, but the sooner you get up and about out of the bed is the beginning of your healing process.  My scar isn't noticible at all by others and it looks good and is healing more and more everyday. I go back as a follow-up to see my surgeon in one month.  He is very proud of me today.  I am able to walk my 2 small dogs and was able to take care of them the entire time.  I am able to swallow properly and don't have shortness of breath now.  I lost 4.7 pounds within one week.  Life is good for me now and I am sooooo glad I decided to have the surgery.  I didn't have anyone staying with me during my recoup time after surgery.  I was able to get up and care for myself.  Two doctors did lab tests and it came back normal for the thyroid test.  I knew something was wrong since I was gaining a lot of weight, had shortness of breath, even when resting and was unable to swallow properly.  It felt like I had something lodged in my throat at all times.  I was persistent with my doctor and he ordered a CAT scan for me.  The CAT scan showed I had small nodule in my right thyroid.  I had a needle biopsy done before surgery. The surgeon talked to me and I gave him the go ahead to remove it so I wouldn't be bothered with my symptoms and could live a normal life once again.  This was the best decision I could have made.  I hope I have been a little bit of help to you.  

I have one that has grown about 1cm since Feb this year, it's now about 4-4.2 cm.  I get my second biopsy results next week.  My first biopsy was benign.  I am still considering surgery, but will talk to the dr.  If my results are suspicious I plan on having it out.  I know what the statistics say but I am not a statistic.  I hope you get the answers you need.  I am in a similar boat.
Your TSH has nothing or nearly nothing to do with the nodules. I had perfectly fine levels, I had cancer. What in your reports told them they were suspicious? I have not heard of a genetic reading, are you speaking of the thyroglobulin? I had a diagnosis after my FNA of "benign follicular clusters", I still had cancer. The thyroid is notoriously hard to diagnose, but certain characteristics point toward cancer, such as irregular borders, calcifications, solidity, shape, etc. As to the size issue, different Radiology Techs will use different markers to measure the nodule, not always the same one and not always the same starting and ending point. It can vary and shrink somewhat. The nodule will not go away, it is likely to grow. Even if it is not cancerous, it could cause problems for you later, problems like swallowing, difficulty breathing, etc. I know it is difficult decision to opt for surgery, it took me 8 months to finally consent. I had them remove 1/2 of the thyroid, I was hoping to keep the rest. They did find  cancer, so I had the other half removed. The point is to keep searching, if you are afraid, get a second opinion. The good thing is that if is is cancer, thyroid cancer is usually slow growing and most times does not spread, so you do have time to keep searching. You may never get a exact diagnosis until you actually take the gland out and send it to the lab.

Thank you all for helping me to continue on the course of action in favor of surgery.
I have read so much about how hard a time certain people had to get their levels right. I am an active person (not overly) and the thought of being real sluggish months after surgery is very unappealing. Also , my job calls for a lot of energy and for my voice as well.

I will get the surgery, unless God heals me first.