Thyroid Cancer Community
Waiting for Thyrogen

Thyroid cancer is a thyroid tumor that is malignant. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments, surgical options and living with thyroid cancer.

Waiting for Thyrogen

I have been on a low iodine diet for 6 weeks now as I wait for my Thyrogen (and no end in sight)....is there any danger to my health from being on this diet so long
Hi there!

Though there is no danger of being on low iodine diet for 6 weeks (the symptoms don’t develop until much longer); 2-3 weeks of  low iodine diet is found to be enough for most purposes.
Hope this information helps.

Take care!
Thank you for responding Dr. Kaul....I wish I was on this diet for so long by choice but unfortunately my Thyrogen is on back order and so until it comes in this is what I have to do.  I am trying to avoid going hypo if at all possible. Also, my endocrinologist has me on high doses of Synthroid to suppress my TSH so this is the route I am committed to.  I wish I had gone to a large hospital to be treated but I didn't so I guess I am stuck!