Thyroid Cancer Community
Welcome to our Thyroid Cancer Community! Introduce yourself here!

Thyroid cancer is a thyroid tumor that is malignant. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments, surgical options and living with thyroid cancer.

I've been a Community Leader on our Thyroid Disorders Community for almost 4 yrs and have enjoyed helping so many people.  I joined MedHelp 5yrs ago, as I began my journey from FNA thryoid nodule biopsy to surgery 4 mos later and continued to get support regarding medication and  treatment through the years.

We're looking forward to growing the Thyroid Cancer Community and helping as many members as possible.  

WELCOME !

C~
Partial 1/07
I have a very long story, so will post the short, sweet, yet incomplete version. I was followed by an Endocrinologist for 10 years for a lump on my Thyroid. After assuring me there was no need for surgery, was likely nothing etc., he decided one day it had grown, and sent me in for the TT. Several days later, got the call to bring my husband, and come to doctor's office. I was diagnosed with Medullary Thyroid cancer. Scans were done on my entire body, revealing tumors in bone and organs. Sent to M D Anderson Cancer Center as no doctors in Oregon knew how to treat this, or if there even was a treatment. After further tests confirmed the diagnosis, and further scans were done, was diagnosed at stage 4 with mets to liver, lungs, arms, legs, skull, ribs, and spine. I was given 2 months-2 years to live. That was Sept 1994. I am celebrating 17 years this month since that grim prognosis.
That is an awesome short sweet version!! I feel confident now no matter what they may tell me later.  Thanks katykat!
That is sooo wonderfull! Sorry it took so long to catch it! I am about to go for an ultrasound to see what the lump on my thyroid is and i am scared but being optamistic. I hope you have another 17 years or more. Good Luck :)
Thanks so much you guys. My children, faith, and an optimistic attitude took me a LONG way in fighting this disease. I LOVE to give people hope :)
What does T!a(multifocal)NXMX papillary carcinoma mean does anyone know what stage this is. I have to be on a nonidoine diet for two weeks, I having a hard time finding what kind of foods I can eat everything seems to infer. If idoine is in the body system at the time of radition, can anyone tell me what it will do or symptoms it will give me.
The 2hardest parts are the diet & the unknown - in that order. I found the cookbook on Thyca.org to be very helpful. Before I found it, I ate many Maltzo crackers w/natural (no salt/iodine) peanut butter. You would be surprised how many different meals you can have. My favorite - PB cookies. I was on the diet for about 4 months leading up to treatment. Once you are used to it, it is easy to stick with it.

The diet is very important. The body has natural stores of Iodine in our body from our food, salt, etc. The thyroid cells are the only cells in the body that need Iodine. By stopping all Iodine from coming into your body, the Thyroid cells become "hungry" for iodine. The tests & body scans that you will have done, all use Radioactive Iodine (I-123 or I-131 usually). Once you swallow the capsules, all of the Thyroid cells will "eat" up all the Radioactive Iodine. The doctors have the body scans done (at a nuclear medicine facility). The scan will pick up all tissues that have "eaten" the Radioactive Iodine. Those cells/tissues should contain thyroid cells. If the scan picks up something around or outside the area of the Thyroid Bed, it is possibly Thyroid Cancer or Metastatic Thyroid Cancer.

If you do not follow the diet, the cells of the body will not be "starving" for iodine. The test will not show all of the Thyroid cells in your body. They will actually be "hidden" from the scanner.  The only side effects that I had from the diet was some weight loss - there was no salt = no water weight gain - no bread = no carbs.

As far as your question about the TxNxMx:
Tx = the number of Tumors found
Nx = the number of Lymph Nodes involved
Mx = the number of Metastasis involved

This helps the doctors to stage the cancer.

I was diagnosed the same as you - multi focal papillary. I had some Lymph Node involvement. I had to have tissue from my Hyoid bone and muscle in my neck removed because it was cancerous.  I also had lung involvement as well.

Everything is good tho. I went thru Radioactive Iodine treatment in a hospital - one dose, 3 days in hospital. I was back to work about 3 or 4 weeks later.

Everything came back clear 6 months later. And now, It's been almost 3 years, and many body scans later - I am considered clean.

I hope that I have answered your questions.
If you have any other questions, please ask.