Aa
A
A
Close
Whole Body Scan Necessary?
I got a total thyroidectomy June 26, 2012.  My endo felt I didn't need RAI, so I didn't get it done.  Today, during a visit I asked my doctor what the follow up plan is and he said to get a whole body scan.  Does anyone know if getting neck ultrasounds and monitoring tg is just as good as getting a whole body scan?  If so, I would rather save myself from getting unnecessary radiation.
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
808425 tn?1371095928
I had my total thyroidectomy in 2004. Following my RAI, I had a whole body scan. I see that you didn't have the RAI, and it isn't always recommended. From what I understand, thyroid tissue can be found elsewhere in the body, so a whole body scan is something I would definitely do the one time. Since my surgeries and scan, I have not had another, only follow up lab work on a regular basis, and yearly ultrasounds. So, that scan may be the only one you'll get. That said, I am not the expert by any means. I hope you get some more educated responses! Maybe I'll learn something as well :)
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
hey thanks for your response!  that does make me feel a little bit better about the whole process.  :)
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Cancer Community Resources