Thyroid Cancer Community
how long will the RAI stay in my body?

Thyroid cancer is a thyroid tumor that is malignant. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments, surgical options and living with thyroid cancer.

how long will the RAI stay in my body?

I was trying to find out when will I be able to have sex with my husband after RAI, but then I found out that its half life is 8 days, so if my dosage is 125, in 8 days it will be half of that and so on....that means that it will not leave my body completely for about 50 days!!! Im I undestanding this correctly? Because when I had the scan they told me to sleep alone and the dosage was only 2...how can they tell me its ok to be near my family 8 days later when it will be 75?? Please anwer me! I have two daughters and a husband and Im freaking out!! At the hospital they dont answer my questions...they talk to me like Im a five year old...(by the way sorry if I mispelled anything, english is not my first language)
Link from http://www.mythyroid.com/radioactiveiodinecancer.html
What kind of contact can I have with other people after my radioactive iodine treatment?

All patients are checked prior to discharge from hospital to ensure that the levels of radiation in their neck and body have returned to levels that are considered safe by regulatory authorities. Using common sense, it seems reasonable to avoid intimate contact for a few days (kissing, hugging, sexual activity, sharing food etc) as there may still be small trace amounts of radioactive iodine in saliva or other body fluids and secretions. Accordingly, while there is no reason for patients to remain secluded in separate rooms after discharge from hospital, intimacy and immediate proximity to others should gradually be reintroduced after several days. There are no scientific studies that have examined whether it is safe to kiss someone at 48 versus 24 hours etc, so we empirically suggest waiting an additional 2-3 days after discharge before resuming normal intimate human activities. To review some data that addresses the disappearance of radioactive iodine from our bodies, see Effective half-life of 131I in thyroid cancer patients. Health Phys. 2001 Sep;81(3):325-9.
hope you are feeling okay .. it's been about a week and thinking of you!

C~