Thyroid Cancer Community
post thyroid cancer treatment
About This Community:

Thyroid cancer is a thyroid tumor that is malignant. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments, surgical options and living with thyroid cancer.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

post thyroid cancer treatment

Hey everyone, I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer in feb 2011.  I had a TT in April 2011 followed by RAI treatment in July 2011.  Unfortunately removing my thyroid made my body go out of whack for a while and now I am on calcium supplements (hopefully not for forever) and then when I did the LID and RAI treatment I got very sick for nearly a month.  At my last doctors appt my endo told me that I will need to do thyrogen injections alongside another RAI treatment.  I am very nervous going into this treatment because they said my cancer was gone, so i dont see the financial point of another treatment unless necessary and I really dont want to get sick again.  Have any of you gone through thyrogen injections?  Also, has anyone tried or heard of any natural treatments for preventing a recurrence?
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I have had 2 thyrogen injections, the point is to tell if you have a recurrance. It is nearly impossible to remove all the thyroid tissue, even after RAI you could have a recurrance. The thyrogen injections don't prevent recurrance, only tell you if there is one happening. The thyrogen injection will make you hypo, then they test your thyroglobulin levels while hypo and if the levels are high, you are at risk for recurrance. They give the test year one, two and five after TT. If you are clear for those years, then you will be considered cured.
Blank
168348_tn?1379360675
If I  ever have to have my other side out I think I'm all for thyrogen.  I cannot imagine stopping thyroid meds ..................

My Thyroglobulin has been perfect the past 5 yrs since my partial.

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...