Thyroid Cancer Community
ultra sound report

Thyroid cancer is a thyroid tumor that is malignant. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments, surgical options and living with thyroid cancer.

ultra sound report

Hello , I am a 39 yr old woman that had a ultra sound due to enlarged goiter. Although I am very concerned after being sent to a endo and going over the results with him.
Right lobe measures 6.0 x 2.5 x 2.7 cm left lobe 5.5 x 2.7 x 2.8 cm . The thyroid isthmus 1.3 cm ,they thyroid parenchymal echotexture is heterogeneous, vascular flow within the bilateral lobes is within normal limits and symmetric on color doppler.

A heterogeneous nodule measuring 1.8 x 1.0 x 1.5 cm upper pole right lobe. Another nodule 1.4 x 1.6 x 1.5 cm lower right pole. A 5 mm hypoechoic structure with apparent posterior acoustic enhancement , lower pole left thyroid lobe.
Please explain this to me and if i should be concerned like my endo doctor is . Hes sending me for a FNA right away. thank you
Tags: ulta sound, Thyroid, nodule, results, Cancer
Right lobe measures 6.0 x 2.5 x 2.7 cm left lobe 5.5 x 2.7 x 2.8 cm .
The thyroid volume is 40 cu cm which is 2.2 times bigger than upper limit for adult female and 5.5 times bigger than average (in the US)
The thyroid isthmus 1.3 cm  (normal thickness is 0.3 cm)
the thyroid parenchymal echotexture is heterogeneous,( patchy coarse grained and bumpy)
vascular flow within the bilateral lobes is within normal limits and symmetric on color Doppler.( there is no active inflammatory process and  no Grave’s disease)
A heterogeneous nodule measuring 1.8 x 1.0 x 1.5 cm upper pole right lobe.
Nodule is possible contains solids and fluid (complex)
Another nodule 1.4 x 1.6 x 1.5 cm lower right pole.
No remarks on this one
A 5 mm hypoechoic structure with apparent posterior acoustic enhancement, lower pole left thyroid lobe.
(may have increased blood flow and possible calcification)
It looks like the 5 mm nodule needs to be investigated more.
In general micro calcification with blood flow increases odds of cancer to 25%.
There is lack on details for first 2 nodules
The large thyroid size suggests of the past currently inactive inflammatory process
WOW you broke down that report with precision.  I received my report back, not as precise as the one from russelltribe.  I would appreciate any feedback from you with regards to my report as I am waiting for a call from the End. Doc I have been referred to so that I can set up an appt.  Was referred to him by the ENT doc I am seeing and the one who ordered my Ultrasound that I had on Nov. 29.  Here are the results from my ultrasound procedure.  I have been so nervous that I have not been able to eat much and I am thin as it is.  HERE goes:  6.1 mm homogenous oval solid nodule with 2-3 small micro calcifications in the right lobe of the thyroid superiorly.  4 mm homogenous oval solid nodule in the right lobe of the thyroid inferiorly. Few small benign cysts measuring less than 5 mm.  LEFT lobe: Single benign 4 mm cyst. Isthmus, normal.  Nodes, none.  Other, none.  The sentence with regards to the 6.1 solid nodule with Microcalcifications is VERY MUCH UNDERLINED in the report.  THAT scares me.  I would imagine the RED FLAG is thrown up when Calcifications are spotted.  THAT PART SCARES ME.  I hate this waiting and wondering.  If my thyroid doesn't kill me, my nerves will...THANKS AHEAD.....
In general microcalcification is considered risk factor if it is found in nodule with irregular borders and increased blood flow (hypoechoic). That risk is estimated to be 23% on the nodule larger than 1cm. the clinically accepted practice is to repeat the ultrasound in 6 months and see if that nodule will grow. Nodules are VERY common in your age; family history should be reviewed to estimate the risks!
ENDO doc office called this morning.  I am scheduled on Jan. 13 for FNA biopsy.  The radiologist will be right there making sure enough cells are retrieved.  Having the micro-calcifications has me feeling pessimistic.