12mm solid nodule on left thyroid
I went to the Dr. because I haven't been able to lose weight in over a year, every time my thyroid levels are checked they are ALL normal!  Not until I reported feeling like I have a lump in the base of my throat did they recheck my thyroid levels... all normal again, and did an ultrasound that reveals a 12mm solid nodule on the left thyroid.  I have read that solid nodules are more likely cancerous.  I have been exposed to a more than normal amount of radiation due to working in a trauma center for years , am a smoker and am curious what to expect or suspect.  Of course, having all normal labs, I think cancer!  My doctor who is an internist made an appt. for me with an Endocrinologist on Sept. 8th.  Any thoughts?
As a general rule this nodule will have to be biopsed beacuse it is bigger then 1 cm; the nodule is more likely to be malignant if:
it has irreglar borders;
attached to trachea;
has increased blood flow.
If none of these  apply, the nodule is most likely benign.
Professional long term exposure to x-ray poses  risk to to bone marrow ; the radioacive iodine CONTAMINATION increases danger to thyroid.
I went through the same thing. Please what ever you do, don't panic, From what I have read on thyroid nodules a very high percentage are not cancerous. If you would like, I could  give you some info off a pamphlet I received from my Endo.
Linda
Yes... thank you information would be great.  The nodule is highly vascular ... I remember that from the ultrasound... I haven't gotten to see the report yet, I just got the message on my answering machine Friday when I got home from the hospital!  I wanted the ultrasound because it feels like something is in my throat... like its cutting off my air and swallow when my head tilts down... I have swollen lymph nodes for almost 2 years without explanation... as well as my voice is hoarse over half the time.  Not too worried, but am concerned...