Thyroid Disorders Community
15 year old High TSH normal T3 T4

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

15 year old High TSH normal T3 T4

My daughter is 15 years old and is displaying symptoms of tired, lethargic, weight gain, irritability, hair loss, and inability to focus.  Her TSH level taken a month ago was 5.16 and T 3 and T 4 levels were in the normal range.  No Free T3 or T4 levels were taken.  Our Dr. said everything was normal.  I am suspecting something is not right.  She has an appointment with an endocrinologist (which I made) in two more months.  What is your opinion?

Your daughter's TSH result exceeds the currently recommended range of .3-3.0, and combined with her symptoms, is a clear indication of hypothyroidism.  Even though the T4 and T3 results were in the "normal" range, these ranges are very broad and being within the low end (I assume) does not preclude hypothyroidism.  If I were you I would go back and insist that she be tested for the "Frees", free T3 and free T4.  These are the actual thyroid hormones that largely regulate metabolism and many other body functions.  TSH is a pituitary hormone that does not correlate to hypo symptoms very well at all.  Free T3 correlates best with hypo symptoms.

My opinion is that the very best way to treat a hypo patient is to listen to symptoms, and test and adjust free T3 and free T4 with medication as required to alleviate those symptoms.  Frequently that requires testing and adjusting the "Frees" into the upper part of their ranges.   Along that line, here is a good site that you would benefit from reading before going back to insist on testing for the "Frees" .

http://www.hormonerestoration.com/Thyroid.html

You should also be aware that just because a doctor is an endocrinologist does not assure that he is a good thyroid doctor.  Was this Endo recommended by  a happy thyroid patient, or how did you choose him?    
Hi TSH, with normal FT3 and Ft4 (though these were not taken), may be considered as either overt or subclinical hypothryoid.

What this means is that your daughter's body wants more thryoid hormone than it is receiving. The high TSH is the body's attempt to stimulate the thyroid to release more.

Given,a TSH of 5.16 is not considered that high (although the revised normal range is something like 0.5 - 3.5, some drs will not treat unless TSH is greater than 10), but it is not normal given her symptoms and there would be absolutely no harm in giving low dose thyroid hormone (with monitoring) to get her TSH down into normal range and see what it does for her symtoms (symptoms) and how she feels.

Mind you some of us would be feeling worse than death if our TSH were allowed to get as high as 10.  Target TSh should be within normal range (somee say between 1 - 2, but this is not absolut), and the level that she feels good at.

Her antibodies should also be tested, to give a better indication of what is going on.  IF antibodies are high, it is a further indication to keep monitoring and for treatment.

Good you are taking her to an Endo.  Insist they keep monitoring, whatever the outcome and decision to treat.

Best wishes to you and your daughter.
I was diagnosed with hyperhyroidism at the age of thirteen, the only reason they finally work out wha i had was because my mum was so persistant in taking me to the doctor saying there was definately some thing wrong. when i was diagnosed my levels were through the roof. I was loosing weight, falling asleep constantly and crying all the time.If it wasnt for my mums persistance she would have just believed i was becoming anorexic so keep insisting they find out more!!! you are doing a great job for your child:) she will appreciate it in the long run like me
Hi my daughter is 8 and born without a thyroid gland. She is totally dependent on thyroid hormone. Your daughters TSH is too elevated. If this doctor does not test the freet3 and freet4, then find a new doctor that will. You may have to go outside the "conservative" world of endochronologist to get this done. Don't be afraid to do so, if needed. You must not ignore hypo symptoms and keep "pushing" until you get to the bottom of this. Trust your "motherly instincts" and get educated as quickly as possible on the complicated world of thyroid. Let me know if I can be of further help to you.