Thyroid Disorders Community
15y/o just diagnosed Hashi's

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

15y/o just diagnosed Hashi's

Hello, my daughter was just diagnosed with hashi's courtesy of me: (I have it too).  She has a goiter, ultrasound is negative for nodules and such. Just started on synthroid, and tons of vitamins and minerals and such.  

I have a few concerns: firstly, the doctors are not concerned in the slightest, they seem to be of the mentality that: 'It's just the thyroid, here, take this pill, she'll be fine.'  I however I have suffered so much with this since pregnancy and having her. I didn't know I had hashi's until last year, I just thought I was hypo. I never had the swings common. Unless I was slightly hyper my whole life, as everyone always thought I was high strung and frequently was a called a jack rabbit. Just like my Aunt 'Bunny.'   I DO NOT WANT HER TO SUFFER like me! Is there anything I can do to prevent it?

Secondly, I did not have a goiter, when mine died, it just died. Doctor last year couldn't even find it on Ultrasound and for a second thought he had removed it!  Her goiter looked like she had swallowed a softball! Over night: Poof! It has shrunken down some but you can still see it.  I believe it was starting to compress her vocal cords, as she was horse sounding when it was so big.  Here's the deal: She has an incredible singing voice, we've been told that she is a rare young mezzo-soprano and can really go places. She sounds like Amy Lee from Evanescence. Really, no lie.  So...what happens with this stupid goiter and her vocal cords? Should we remove it to spare her cords and the ravages to to take place on her body?

And what's this I hear about different types of Hashi?  Can someone post a link to a site that educates me more on these different types of Hashi?  I saw someone had said, that with her type surgery is not an option and would not make her feel better but worse.  Can someone explain this to me, please?

Thank you so much for any responses to help my talented daughter that I fear for.
I've never heard of different types of Hashi's.  As far as I know Hashi's is Hashi's, period.  Was your daughter diagnosed on the basis of antibodies?  Surgery is seldom recommended for Hashi's unless there are extenuating circumstances.  I'd need some clarification on the "multiple types" to be able to respond further.

If you've been properly treated, you shouldn't have been suffering.  Yes, it can be a challenge to find the right doctor and get the meds that are right for you, but once you do, you should be able to carry on with your life.

Once on meds, your daughter's goiter should shrink.  Our initial dose is seldom our optimal dose, soit should continue to improve as she gets closer to optimization.

I was very hoarse when hypo, but my voice has changed back since being on meds.