Thyroid Disorders Community
17 years old hypo thyroid question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

17 years old hypo thyroid question

I'm a 17 year old girl. I have had constipation FOREVER. My stomach would hurt I would go to the doctor and get told "she's constipated, here's benefiber." Or Mirlax. Miralax works but is just a band aid for the symptom. As soon as I go off of it constipation comes back. Benefiber does nothing if not make me more constipated.

I've had a colonoscopy and endoscopy both normal. I've had blood work

TSH first time: 5.17 recommended range .3-3.0
a month later Free T4 12.5 range 3-10.5
another month later TSH 2.36 range .3-3.0, T4 1.07 range .54-1.5, T3 3.1 range .3-3.9 so "all normal"

We have discussed results with a pediatric endocrinologist. He asked for a TPOab but said the out of range tests could just be "flukes".

I was so sad to hear the I don't really have an answer to my problem. It is disheartening to think that I might not start feeling better. At my doctor appointment my general doctor noticed a high heart rate (which is probably irrelevant) and slightly swollen thyroid.

Is it common to have out of range TSH and T4 tests with nothing wrong?

Tags: Thyroid question, hypo-thyroid, 17 years old
Honestly I battled doctors for 12 years because I was going from 2.5ish-7.8 TSH with my total T around middle range. It would go back and forth. My weight steadily increase, I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, was obese, had horrible eczema, depression, fatigue, and a battle between constipation and diarrhea. I kept up asking the doctors to do their tests because I knew something was wrong; but I kept hearing well it's a little high but still in normal range -so we'll just watch it. And then last year it got worse- I started loosing my hair and sleeping 12 hours a day. Finally last July a random ER doctor that was treating me for my gallstones got suspicious of my thyroid and ordered tests. They were hovering around the 7 range and he prescribed thyroxine. 6 weeks later almost all my symptoms were gone. So I asked for an antibody test -it was definitely positive. I have Hashimoto's, which explains my up and down levels for the past decade. It was a relief and a pain at the same time- which I'm sure you can understand. Finally knowing yes there is something wrong, no I'm not crazy and I do know what it is.. but then coming to the full awareness that this is an autoimmune disease, will only get worse, and cannot be cured.

My ranges weren't even that far out of range (just out of the "ideal" according to most of the dr's I've had) and there was definitely something wrong with me. But the reason you're getting a run around is because hormonal issues can be hard to diagnose and if they prematurely give you a medicine it could cause a lot of problems, especially because you're young. I know it's hard, but do your best to be patient, keep hounding your doctors, make sure you get that antibody test! Also keep a record of all your tests and results!! If you ever switch insurance, have a problem or get a new doctor those tests results are just gold. It could also be beneficial for you to right down how you're feeling the week leading up to a test and right after- basically what are your symptoms vs what does your blood tests say.

In the mean time a food intolerance can also make you constipated too. So I suggest having a food diary to help you see what makes you worse.. and avoid it. You need a lot of fiber and a lot of water in your diet, so try to keep your water between 1-2 liters a day.
Please have a look at this listing of typical hypothyroid symptoms and see if you have others besides constipation, which can have multiple causes.    

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/basics_starthere/a/hypochecklist.htm

I am a bit confused with the test results and reference ranges you posted.  I have never seen a range anywhere near the one you posted for the Free T4,  shown as being 3 - 10.5.  Also please check the Free T3 range shown as .3 - 3.9.
I strongly suggest getting a hearing test as well....I went slowly deaf due (starting in my early 20's) to the (big maybe ) that I had untreated thyroid disease that most likely started to show at puberty.

In a perfect world, I would have been taken seriously that something was wrong.  Being so tired that I could not stay awake in class in the afternoons,....very late starting my periods (late 15) ...then very bad PMS and depression issues....never having a lot of energy etc...and all this while in High School!!
I would see what other symptoms you may have other then just Constipation. That could be due to a food intolerance.

Don't give up trying to find out what your body's imbalance is...trust your body that it is trying to tell you something...you are your own very best friend...love yourself and find that answer to feeling better! A young healthy body is powerful!!
Mia