1.7cm nodule
I was diagnosed with a multi nodular goiter.  I have many nodules.  One growth is 1.7 cm.  My endo said to watch it every 2 years for growth.  I have done that and it has not changed at all.    

My question is that I have heard MANY people getting an FNA done.  On my last ultrasound in december 2006 my GP said that the ultrasound( radiologist) requested an FNA be done.  However, when I consulted with my GP (general) he said he would not be concerned or even see my endo or do an FNA if there has been no change in the size...  Am I being to complacent for following his advice or is that a reasonable answer?

I am 21 yr old female...not overwieight...Thyroid tests are normal.
Oh, sorry... I mean I am 41 years old...OOPS!
Are the nodules bothering you.Like does food get stuck in your throat?Can you breathe ok?As long as they arent compressing your trachea and esophagusand you feel ok with them just keep getting them checked although I would get an FNA done.I cant figure out why your doc would have one done on that large a nodule.Keep pestering the doc till you get one.
Good luck
Love Venora
With the larger nodule, you should definitely get it biopsied.  Sometimes they're too small to check, but that one is definitely big enough.
My understanding is that an aspiration is draining of fluid and a biopsy is the sampling of nodule material to determine malignancy. I was told by my endo that nodules larger than 1.5 cm (15mm) are usually biopsied. The one I had last July is now 1.1cm (11mm) but I have a new one at 9mm that should be checked out. Be sure you know what you're going in for and/or what the doctor wants to do. My biopsied nodule turned out okay and there was no further discussion about aspiration, so it doesn't seem to be a problem right now. I had a friend who was scheduled to have a growth removed when at the last moment before surgery, the doc decided to aspirate rather than remove it because after a few more checks, he determined that it wasn't so bad after all, so this is really an imperfect science and fluctuations in the nodules can be very common.
The radiologist never told me whether the nodule was solid or fluid filled. He only recommended a FNA done.  Thats when my GP said if it (the growth)  has not changed (and I do not have insurance) to not worry about it as cancerous growths are very rare...(and they tend to change in size)

The growth does not affect me  when I swallow  all the time.  Just some of the time. Especially if my throat is not wet. If I get a sore throat then that side is always sore...And if I swallow when my head is turned..then I can feel it more.  

Who does FNA's?  Do I have to go to an endocronologist or can my GP just order it and then I go to a hospital to have it performed ?  I can not get into a endocronoligst anytime soon...
What is the composition of this 1.7cm nodule via the ultrasound report i.e., complex, solid, cystic ?

I'd have it FNA'd ... no reason not to IMHO ... stats mean nothing to me to be honest .... they come from someplace .. in other words, somebody's nodule is cancerous .. I'd be safe and just rule it out and find out why the radiologist suggested an FNA .. there may be a solid clinical reason as example: calcification, etc.

Cheryl (1/07 partial thyroidectomy ... 2 small areas of pap thyca found 48hrs after surgery .. other 2 nodules benign .. they had FNA of "atypical")

C~
I had a FNA and the results say "follicular cells, histiocytes, and colloid" "findings favor nodular goiter.  What does this mean, and should I have it taken out?