Thyroid Disorders Community
20.92 TSH What does this mean?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

20.92 TSH What does this mean?

I just got my TSH results back and they are at 20.92, it that even possible when the normal range is .45 to 4.5.  I am freaking out right now.
We've had members with TSH results much higher than that, so no need to freak out.  TSH is a pituitary hormone that is supposed to reflect the levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4.  In reality, TSH does not correlate well with either Free T3 or Free T4, much less with hypo symptoms.  At best TSH is an indicator, to be considered along with more important indicators, such as symptoms and also Free T3 and Free T4 levels.

With all that said, your TSH is high enough to be an indicator of hypothyroidism.  Along with that, if you look at this listing of typical hypo symptoms, which ones do you seem to have?

http://endocrine-system.emedtv.com/hypothyroidism/hypothyroidism-symptoms-and-signs.html

Since the most common cause of hypothyroidism is Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is an autoimmune system problem, it would be good to be tested for the thyroid antibodies, TPO ab and TG ab.  while doing that you should always be tested for Free T3 and Free T4 (every time you go in for testing).  Note that FT3 and FT4 are not the same as Total T3 and Total T4.  

With those additional tests the doctor will likely determine that you need thyroid medication.  If you will get those tests done and  post your results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report, members will be glad to help interpret and advise further.
my TSH just came back as 294.
the only symptoms I was getting was memory loss and muscular cramps and was only diagnosed as I had a blood test for another reason.
i hope you have stopped freaking out
;)