Thyroid Disorders Community
5 days out and neck feels "tight"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

5 days out and neck feels "tight"

Anyone help me here? I feel like maybe there is some swelling going on or something? Not restrictive to my airway but feels like things are really "tight" inside my neck right now... mostly on the sides or outer edges of the incision??  Does not look like any infection, not a lot of pain, just feels swollen or something. I go back to the Dr this afternoon so I'm sure he'll have answers... just feeling out of sorts, very flustered and wanting to feel good just for a while, you know?

UGH
Darla
I don't know what your doc will say, but mine says that is normal and will pass with time. I was pretty much past that by day 7, but now, of course, it's back after round 2 (but not as bad for some reason). I try to stretch gently by rolling my neck around and that helps. But don't overdo it. In my case, I think pain is nature's way of saying "don't do that, dummy!" I don't always listen too well.

Hope you start feeling a whole lot better soon.  
this is normal your neck is trying to heal itself Mine still feels tight sometimes after a year.Just take it easy and you will be healed before you know it.
Love Venora
Again, I haven't ever had surgery, but would the skin kind of pull around an incision while it was healing, like a cut?

Let us know what the doctor says.

Good luck!
Thank you as usual, you guys know it all! LOL I kind of figured it was normal but then again, it was freaking me out. I did not keep ice on my neck all morning yesterday and by afternoon the tightness began so I kept my ice pack on it all afternoon / evening and part of the night. This morning it was still feeling really tight so I got the ice right on it again until I literally had teeth chattering chills and then that caused too much pain and well, I didn't notice a difference so I took it off. Ugh. Just wanting to get back to normal. I am sure I'll get lots of info from my Dr this afternoon....   I'll post when I get home and let you know what he says. I think overall I have been pretty lucky with minimal problems/complications and I am healing very well. I also think had I spoke up about my pain meds from Day 1 rather than waiting till' Day 3 - well, I think I'd be feeling tons better by now. Someday I will speak up for myself.
Later.
Darla
I hear ya about speaking up. I would still be in the hospital if I hadn't pestered them so much last night about checking up on whether the endo was coming to see me. They just kept saying, "I'm sure he knows about this". Well, he knew, but not that I was not going to be discharged until he gave his blessing. I was laying around feeling fine and wasting precious bed space. I was about to call all  my friends and have them show up with pitchforks and torches to come and storm the place so I could make an escape.

So, try not to worry too much. One day, soon, you will wake up and it will take you a while to realize that you feel really good. There will be little pain and that you will be able to turn your head and, yes, even raise your chin and look up. Really. It will happen.
I'm 5 weeks post op, and sometimes I still feel like I have a hand grabbing me around the neck.  That's all I can think of to describe it.  It's just like pressure.  Doesn't hurt or anything, just slightly annoying is all.

Lori