Thyroid Disorders Community
8mm thyroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

8mm thyroid

On a ct. scan, a 8mm right thyroid lobe of the thyroid lesion was detected. It this of normal size or is it considered increased in size?  It also states a probable thyroid adeoma of collid cyst. I am concerned as there is a history of cancer in my family.
Anything over 1.0cm is usually considered eligible for a FNA biopsy.  Thyroid adenoma I believe is non cancerous overgrowth of thyroid tissue .. but not sure about teh words collid cyst .. I am a patient; not a med professional .. this is my best guess.

If there is history of thy cancer I wuld insist on ev 6 mos to followup on this nodule (if not sooner if doc recommends it) at the very least.

What does your Doc say and waht type of cancer is your family if you don't mind me asking?

Cheryl
I am to go for a thyroid sonogram this week. there is liver and multible myleoma cancer in the family. It is stil cancer.
What is an FNA biopsy if I might ask?
It is a Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy (FNA) They take samples of the tissues and look to see if there are any maligancies.

Can the FNA Biopsy need to have an additional doctor's order or is it possible it can be done at the time of the sonogram?  

I thank every for their help and knowledge.
Some endocronoligist's will do FNA's in the office and others will have you go to a hospitol or clinic.

It all depends on where you go.