Thyroid Disorders Community
A Hair Loss Question?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

A Hair Loss Question?

So, people who have hypothroid lose hair because of the condition and then you lose more hair when you take the medication.  Is this correct?  

So do you ever stop losing hair?  

I don't know yet. I just started Synthroid two weeks ago, but some of my other conditions are improving. I think that maybe I'm not pulling out as much hair as before.
Maybe someone who has had hypo longer can chime in.

:) Tamra
I was losing clumps of hair when I was diagnosed hypothyroid, put on levoxyl and 6 weeks later hair stop falling completely. Now I'm in the process of changing to natural hormones and hair start falling again, not in such amounts though,  so I think your hormone levels need to be adjusted in order to stop the hair fall.

I am glad to hear that for someone hair loss due to hypothyroidism and meds has stopped.
I always read people who are losing hair due to this, but I almost never hear from people who actually have had good hair experience when on hypo meds.
For me is not only the hair loss, it is also that my hair is not growing enough. I have baby hair that falls before it reaches the length I want to give it.
I like long hair, so I try to keep it long, but due to my condition it grows in different lengths and when you see my hair you will find that only half of my hair is getting long. It is weird and very difficult to style, not to mention it is dry and now curly due to the different unwilling lengths.
I agree with you about it is all about hormone adjustment. I had that experience when taking the birth control pill. When on the right one my hair stopped falling after 3 to 5 months after starting it.
Unfortunately that hasn't happened yet on my hypo meds.
I just know that if I don't brush my hair good before bath time, I'm dipping a lot of hair out of the tub, so I don't clog the drain...How rude.

I have loose hair on my pillow.  One morning I rolled over and sucked one right into my mouth...I woke up caughing and choking and all I could think was  "Hairball"....
HI, I was just diagnosed with a TSH level of 5.6, and I was told I have Hashimoto's disease. I am 44 years old. My hair started to come out two weeks ago. Currently I am on no meds. Yesterday I saw the Endo, and he told me to take synthroid 25, but a dr. I saw(endo a few days prior) told me to take synthroid 75. What do I do???
I am 5ft1 116 pounds.
Also, They both told me that hypothyroid at my levels would not cause hair loss,
I am so upset, its bad enough to loose it, but why?? Thanks for any opinions  
I'm new to this forum and I have not been diagnosed yet with any thyroid problem.  All I know is my hair has been getting thinner and thinner and so far I don't know why so I can relate to you.  I've been really upset also.

I would Post a New Question, their are many members that have Hashimoto's disease on this forum.  I'm sure you will get some answers.

Good Luck and may we all get the hair back that we lost.  
I am losing hair  as well and I am taken the same medication for 2 months now Synthroid and Cytomel.  My hair is still combing out.  Its there any thing I can take or stop taking to stop it?
Previously I had noticed that I was losing hair as the drain was always full of hair.  Hair on the bathroom floor, etc.  I always have little baby hairs growing and it is slow to grow.  I have been hypothyroid for 5 years now.  Just recently had a TT in June and have gone for 2 weeks without medication at all for RAI preparation and have no real hair loss.  It is very strange.  I expected to be losing clumps of hair.  None yet.  Have 1 more week without meds.  
Over the past 4 years I have noticed a lot of hair loss and my hair has become extremely dry and frizzy. It is so frustrating. Nothing seems to help. I have have been on thyroxin for the past 10 years. Doctors don't seem to care. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Hair loss is frequently associated with being hypo.  Members have reported hair regrowth when taking thyroid meds adequate to get them to the Euthyroid state, by which I mean neither hyper nor hypo symptoms.
It would be helpful to us if you will post your thyroid test results and reference ranges from the lab report.  Also, what dosage of medication are you taking?
I have huge amount of hair loss too. Since I have very thick hair all my  docs blow off what I say about my hair. Today I left a huge ball of hair in the sink to show my husband. At least now he knows I am not crazy when I say I am losing hair. Synthroid 125 with Vit D dif and low estrogen as well. Blood work in 2 1/2 weeks.
I just found out that I am Hypo. What supplements should I be taken to help my hair to regrow? I did not start any med yet.
Take the vitamin BIOCTIN.  You will see your hair stop falling out and healthier in one month.  Started taking 3000 mg a day for the first month and now 1000 mg a day.  Have been on thryoid meds for 4 years and this really works.  A beautition told me about this.
Dear fellow thyroid sufferers - I feel your pain.  I am female 47 and hair on top of head very thin. UP YOUR THYROID and try some sermorelin online.  This has to be taken by injection but is a growth hormone releasing hormone and will stimulate your own pituitary to excrete growth hormone.  By the time you are 40, most of it is gone anyway.  This will start hair growth.  I am not a doctor, just someone who knows what you are going through.

Hope this helps

sb
Hello....I too have suffered from an extreme hair loss episode. It was so bad that I started saving it to show my doctor. When washing it in the shower it would just pull out of my head in ghandfulls, it was really so terrible. I felt a burning in my scalp and knew something was up wierd. I have since been diagnosed with Hashimotos and 3 cystic nodules. I am not taking anything as of yet. I did start taking Evening Primrose Oil which is suppose to be good for thyroid hair loss problems as per Mary Shumow, she says she takes it and is the expert on About.com for thyroid issues. She had hair loss problems and found this worked for her. It definetly worked for me, OR I am just in a waxing and waning period right now and everything is rather dormant. I take one 1.35mg tablet a day of the Primrose Oil and am NOT losing any hair now.
Good Luck, it is such a terrible thing to deal with for a woman.
So, have you noticed if some actually grew back from primrose oil?  How long did this take?

I started taking biotin 5000 mg /day two months ago, it might have slowed down some.

I am a guy, but men in my family seem to keep thier hair. So I think its from hypothyroid even though my levels and other symptoms are now doing great.

thanks
Please help me understand! I have just been diagnosed with hypo and am taking levo. 42 yr old woman. I have all the classic symptoms like insomnia, weight gain, intolerance to cold, extremely sore breasts amongst several others. However the one I fear the most is the hair loss!! At this point I haven't  noticed any loss, just a dryer texture and a bit of lack luster. I have searched everywhere but cannot find an answer to my question! Does EVERYONE who is hypo lose hair??? I'm am absolutley terrified. :,(
No, everyone does not lose hair.

I was VERY hypo when diagnosed (TSH over 60.0) and in retrospect know I had been for at least 1.5 years.  I've now been on meds for 5 years, and I still have never lost a significant amount of hair.  

IF you should, be aware that hair loss is a symptom of hypo.  It's a signal that your meds have to be increased or changed.  Most hair loss occurs because doctors don't increase meds based on symptoms and leave their patients slighly hypo.  
Thanks kindly for the reply! :)
Any type of problem you have & because of any reason I would suggest a product, I should not call it a product because we can use it as a daily routine Hair Oil, As I experienced the same problem in my family, who had different reasons of Hair Loss, all we used Minoxidil and Polaris nr for different type of hair problems. Its my pleasure that I can share my experience. I bought the product from www.polarisminoxidil.com, and I suggest it will be so helpful because this is the place where you can find the perfect solution for your problems.
I've been diagnosed with hoshimotos and my thyroid went from 7.8 to 5.5 when I went on a gluten free diet. I was taking raw thyroid at the time. My hair loss was not that bad(you know clogging the shower drain regularly) until I went on synthroid. Doc put me on 50 mg. wow!!! My hair started falling out at an alarming rate! So much so that just standing or sitting I'm raining hair! I went on biotin, primrose, prenatal vitamins, fish oil(which made my cholesterol dip to normal) zinc, D, etc etc. I feel like a pill......what the heck.....my hair clogged my shower and my pony tail looks as thin as a pencil.....my antibodies went for 175 to 95 on this gluten free diet too. That helped me loose 10 lbs without even trying! I'm happy about that but the hair loss has me sooo sad. I'm thinking about getting off synthroid and see if my hair improves
When you start on thyroid med, it is not unusual for symptoms to worsen until you get the dosage adequately adjusted and then give your body some time to heal.  If you will please post your thyroid related test results and ranges, as shown on the lab report, members will be better able to assess the adequacy of your testing and treatment.  Also, if you have been tested for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin, please post those and ranges as well.
http://www.healthfulelements.com/blog/2012/10/23/hypothyroidism-and-hair-loss

This site might help. Take Evening Primrose Oil
Hi! Have been diagnosed with nodular non toxic goiter last october 2013. TSH & FT4 was normal, thus my condition was euthyroid then. A month after taking levothyroxine sodium 10mg a day, I became hyperthyroid with TSH level dropped from .4 to .03.. As such, i have decided to consult another doctor for 2nd opinion. The doctor then recommended for me to take PTU 50mg 2tablets 3x a day.. However, i always feel so dizzy most especially few minutes after taking the pill during night time. My hair also became dry, frizzy and brittle that i always lose a lot of hair strands even with a gentle comb :-( i am so saddened with what's happening to me but I was left with no other choice. Got to have euthyroid again in preparation for my thyroid surgery early next year..
The only meaningful definition of euthyroid is having neither hypo nor hyper symptoms.  In other words, being free of thyroid related symptoms.  TSH is a pituitary hormone that doctors like to tell us accurately reflects levels of the actual thyroid hormones.  In reality it is affected by so many variables that it cannot be shown to correlate well with either of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 or Free T4, much less correlate well with symptoms, which should be the most important consideration.  In addition, due to the erroneous method used to establish the reference ranges, they are far too broad to be functional for many patients.  

Frequently hypo patients taking thyroid meds find that their TSH becomes suppressed below range.  That does not mean hyperthyroidism, unless you really do have hyper symptoms, due to excessive levels of Free T3 and Free T4.  A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  You can get some good insight into clinical treatment from this letter written by a good thyroid doctor for patients that he sometimes consults with after initial tests and evaluation.  The letter is then sent to the participating doctor of the patient to help guide treatment.  In the letter, please note the statement, "the ultimate criterion for dose adjustment must always be the clinical response of the patient."

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf

So I'd say that your doctor apparently was wrong to diagnose hyperthyroidism, based on TSH alone.  Wrong again to prescribe PTU and cause you to become hypo again.  So you really do need to find a good thyroid doctor that will treat clinically, as described in the link above.  Also,  each time you go for tests, you should make sure they test for both Free T3 and free T4. I included Free T3 because it has been shown to correlate best with hypo symptoms while Free T4 and TSH did not correlte at all.  Since hypo patients are also frequently too low in the ranges for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin, I urge you to get those tested as well.

When additional test results are available, if you will please post results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report, members will be glad to help interpret and advise further.  
hi! thanks a lot for your reply and for the clarification. I went out yesterday to  a diagnostic clinic for a TSH, T4 & T3 tests. The results are as follows:

TSH - 0.231 (Dec 5, 2013)  0.038 (Nov 5, 2013)   0.461 (Oct 21, 2013)
   T4 - 121.50
   T3 - 1.65

Are the results fine then? I'll be seing my third doctor this coming Dec 9 to show the lab test results.
Since lab results and associated reference ranges will vary from one lab to another, please post the reference ranges shown on the lab report for those tests.