Thyroid Disorders Community
A pain in the......ear? From a goiter?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

A pain in the......ear? From a goiter?

Oh My Gosh!!! I am so happy to have found this forum. I have been having the same signs and symptoms for the past year. Just over a year ago, I had 2/3 of my Thyroid removed ( left node and ithsmus). I still have the ride side of the thyroid. I had a nodule the size of a walnut that was pressing on my esophagus and trachea. Today, my Thyroid levels show normal. Since the surgery, I have had increasing hearing loss. in the left ear only. The tympanic membrane has no movement. I often have a feeling of fullness and pressure. This past summer I suffered from severe vertigo which has since disappeared. I also get this small stabbing pain and tickle in this ear as well. All these symptoms are the same as other posters, however, what caught my attention is the symptom of neck pain. I have neck pain and stiffness in my neck that often causes very bad headaches. Range of motion in the neck is good when rotating to the right, poor and painfull when turning to the left. My specialist has ordered an MRI and suspects acoustic neuroma. A benign tumor on the auditory nerve and cochlea. Is this perhaps a problem with my thyroid and nothig to do with my ear?
I wish there were more posts on this subject.
Thanks for the awareness..
Can't say for sure, but i would definately have the mri done!

Good Luck! Keep us posted  =)
Seven years ago my daughter started noticing a weird feeling in her left ear.  It then became more than a weird feeling, like something pressing on it.  Her doctor treated her for an ear infection for a couple of weeks.  She steadily got worse, shaking hands, never sleeping, eating CONSTANTLY but dropped 60 pounds in 2 months, acting strange.  Turns out she was had a very serious case of Grave's disease, ended up having to have her thyroid removed.  But, her very first symptom of anything being wrong was with her ear.

June
18 YEARS AGO DURING PREGNANCY, I NOTICED A LUMP THE IN MY NECK THAT GREW QUICKLY. MY OBGYN TOLD ME IT WAS MY THYROID, AND SAID SOMETIMES DURING PREGNANCY, THIS WILL HAPPEN, BUT AFTER DELIVERY, IT COULD JUST GO AWAY ON ITS OWN.
IT DIDN'T. WHEN MY DAUGHTER WAS BORN, THE DOCTOR WATCHED THE LUMP FOR 6 WEEKS. RAN SOME BLOOD WORK, AND SEVEN WEEKS AFTER THE BABY WAS BORN I WENT INTO SURGERY. TUMORS OF THE THYROID GLAND. NO CANCER, AND MOST OF BOTH GLANDS WERE REMOVED. I AM STILL NOT ON ANY MEDICATION, AND HAVE MY BLOOD TESTED REGULARLY.

ABOUT  6 TO 8 WEEKS AGO, DURING A CONVERSATION, I TRYED TO MAKE A SCREETCHING SOUND THAT PULLED ALL THE MUSCLES IN THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY NECK. THE PAIN WAS QUITE BAD, AND THE AREA WAS TENDER FOR A NUMBER OF DAYS. IT WOULD SEEM THE UNDERLIEING CONDITION, THAT I WAS UNAWARE OF CREATED THE INABILITY TO USE THE MUSCLES IN THAT AREA, IN THAT MANNER.

TWO WEEKS AFTER THAT, I BEGAN TO FEEL A PRESSURE AGAINST MY THROAT, LIKE A THUMB PRESSING IN, RIGHT WHERE THE FIRST TUMOR WAS DISCOVERED. I MADE AN APPOINTMENT WITH THE DOCTOR, BUT NOT FOR THAT, ALTHOUGH I KNEW I WOULD MENTION IT, I WAS PRETTY SURE OF THE OUTCOME.

THE NEW PROBLEM WAS WITH MY EAR ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE THAN THE PRESSURE. IT FELT AS IF THERE WAS SOMETHING MOVING IN MY EAR, LIKE WAX, WHICH I HAD NEVER HAD BEFORE. NOT QUITE LIKE WATER, BUT I COULD ALSO HEAR A SQUISHING SOUND, IF I PRESSED UNDER THE EAR, OR TURNED MY HEAD IN A CERTAIN POSITION. THIS SYMPTOM WORSENED. THE DOCTOR SAID MY EAR WAS FINE, AND THERE DID NOT SEEM TO BE ANY KIND OF INFECTION, WHICH I HAD NEVER HAD BEFOR EITHER. HE SUGGESTED IT MIGHT BE SOMETHING IN MY NECK. SO I TOLD HIM ABOUT THE PRESSURE, AND HE IS NOW SENDING ME FOR AN ULTRA SOUND OF THE THYROID. SINCE THAT DOCTORS APPOINTMENT, I HAVE NOTICED SEVERAL MORE SYMPTOMS. MY NECK IS STIFF AND THERE IS PAIN PRESSENT. I DO HAVE SOME HEADACHES, AND THERE IS NOW SOME PAIN IN THE EAR, BUT NOT LIKE A REGULAR EAR ACHE. ADDITIONALLY, MY EYES HURT IF I TRY TO FOCUS UP CLOSE. THE LUMP IS NOW SOMEWHAT VISIBLE, BUT IS NOT AS BIG AS THE FIRST ONE WAS. MY JAW IS CLICKING A LOT, AND SOMETIMES GET STUCK. IT ALSO HURTS TO BITE DOWN. MY ULTRA SOUND IS IN 4 DAYS, AND I MUST SAY, I AM NOW BEGINING TO THINK THERE IS MORE GOING ON THAT THE LAST TIME.

I'LL LET YOU KNOW

TERRI
Hi, I have had the same symptoms. I started having ear pain 2yrs ago, and initially thought it was a tooth problem. It wasn't my tooth, then I got braces and thought it was my braces. The pain has gotten constant and worse so I pursed it further and just found out it is my thyroid. I am scheduling to have it removed soon. I'm nervous about the scar and hopefully I wont gain 500lbs!!
I think the MRI is a good thing and right to do. Have that done. I also think you should see an ENT for this but this ENT must know about thyroid aslo to proper treat you or at least take that into consideration.

To throw this out there - you may - on a slight thought - be still hypothyroid after your surgery and you may be inflammed from that issue.

Many feel that discomfort with still be undertreated or left to low with function when on medication for thyroid disease.
I get the 'runny ear' sensation and vertigo when HYPO.
The last episode being Christmas Day when the Hospital said I had a Pit. Tumour!
A brain scan ruled that out but I couldnt even lay down to sleep without the whole room spinning.
Turns out I was very Hypo.
Food for thought.....