Thyroid Disorders Community
A poem I found about Hashimoto's Disease.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hi. My name is Hashimoto's, and I'm an invisible autoimmune disease that attacks your thyroid gland.
I am now velcroed to you for life.
Others around you can't see me or hear me, but YOUR body feels me.
I can attack you anywhere and anyhow I please.
I can cause severe pain or, if I'm in a good mood, I can just cause you to ache all over.
Remember when you and energy ran around together and had fun?
I took energy from you, and gave you exhaustion. Try to have fun now!
I can take good sleep from you and in its place, give you brain fog and lack of concentration.
I can make you want to sleep 24/7, and I can also cause insomnia.
I can make you tremble internally or make you feel cold or hot when everyone else feels normal.
I can also give you swollen hands and feet, swollen face and eyelids, swollen everything!
Oh, yeah, I can make you feel very anxious or very depressed, too. I can also cause other mental health problems.
I can make your hair fall out, become dry and brittle, cause acne, cause dry skin, the sky is the limit with me!
I can make you gain weight and no matter what you eat or how much you exercise, I can keep that weight on you. I can also make you loose weight. I don't discriminate.
Some of my other autoimmune disease friends often join me, giving you even more to deal with.
If you have something planned, or are looking forward to a great day, I can take that away from you. You didn't ask for me. I chose you for various reasons:
That virus or viruses you had that you never really recovered from, or that car accident, or maybe it was the years of abuse and trauma (I thrive on stress.) You could have a family history of me. Whatever the cause, I'm here to stay.
I hear you're going to see a doctor to try and get rid of me. That makes me laugh!  Just try. You will have to go to many, many doctors until you find one who can help you effectively.
You will be put on the wrong thyroid meds for you, pain pills, sleeping pills, energy pills, told you are suffering from anxiety or depression, given anti-anxiety pills and antidepressants.
There are so many other ways I can make you sick and miserable, the list is endless - that high cholesterol, gall bladder issue, blood pressure issue, blood sugar issue, heart issue among others? That's probably me.
Can't get pregnant, or have had a miscarriage?
That's probably me too.
Teeth and gum problems? TMJ? I told you the list was endless.
You may be given a TENs unit, get massaged, told if you just sleep and exercise properly I will go away.
You'll be told to think positively, you'll be poked, prodded, and MOST OF ALL, not taken seriously when you try to explain to the doctor how debilitating I am and how sick you really feel.  In all probability you will get a referral from the 'understanding'  (clueless) doctor, to see a psychiatrist.
Your family, friends and co-workers will all listen to you until they just get tired of hearing about how I make you feel, and just how debilitating I can be.
Some of them will say things like "Oh, you are just having a bad day" or "Well, remember, you can't do the things you use to do 20 YEARS ago", not hearing that you said 20 DAYS ago.
They'll  also say things like,  "if you just get up and move, get outside and do things, you'll feel better." They won't understand that I take away the 'gas' that powers your body and mind to ENABLE you to do those things.
Some will start talking behind your back, they'll call you a hypochondriac, while you slowly feel that you are losing your dignity trying to make them understand, especially when you are in the middle of a conversation with a "normal" person, and can't remember what you were going to say next. You'll be told things like, "Oh, my grandmother had that, and she's fine on her thyroid pill" when you desperately want to explain that I don't impose myself upon everyone in the exact same way, and just because that grandmother is fine on the medication SHE'S taking, doesn't mean it will work for you.
I've been trying to keep this next part quiet, but since you're reading this you already know.
The only place you will get the kind of support and understanding in dealing with me, is with other people that have me. They are really the only ones who can truly understand.
I am Hashimoto's Disease.

Here is a like to the FB page I found the poem on https://www.************/notes/kim-mitchell/i-am-hashimotos-disease-thyroid-autoimmune-disease-a-letter-for-patients-family-/4084107622052   I just thought some people may enjoy this one. Best wishes, Sissie
Yep, that's Hashimoto's alright. What a meanie.  This letter was written celeb thyroid patient Gena Lee Nolin. Her fb page is Thyroid Sexy. Gena Lee Nolin has co-authored a book with Mary Shomon: Beautiful Inside and Out: Conquering Thyroid Disease with a Healthy, Happy, "Thyroid Sexy" Life.  Release date: 8 October 2013.

"Baywatch star Gena Lee Nolin shares her story of undergoing and overcoming two decades of misdiagnosed thyroid disease and shows how the estimated 60 million Americans suffering from thyroid disease can learn to live healthy, happy, and beautiful lives."
Thank you for posting this poem. I discovered this website a few weeks ago and it has helped tremendously to communicate with other people who understand. I have spent over a year trying to get doctors and family to listen to me and take me seriously. Besides dealing with the disease it is an ongoing battle to get people to understand that you are not just depressed or apathetic but are actually sick. My husband roles his eyes whenever he sees me on this website. I am going to give him this poem to read and maybe he will gain a better understanding of what I am going through.
Thank you Red_Star for showing the info on the poem. I should have known it would be blocked on here. Lisa9221, you are welcome. I just came across it and it was a big bingo moment lol. It is everything that Hashimoto's is!!!  I don't think they can understand until they are the ones having to deal with it and searching for answers. Mine still thinks I am nutty and am " just looking for things to blame on my thyroid" I hope more people can enjoy this poem and maybe find a little bit of understanding. Best wishes, Sissie