Thyroid Disorders Community
ACHY LEGS AND SORE KNEES IS THIS NORMAL?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hello. I have a question regarding joint and muscular aches. My legs and lower back are very, very achy. My knee joints are very sore too. I just had my labs done yesterday and my TSH was 4.9 and Free T4 was 1.5 - this is supposedly within "normal range". I have graves, was treated with RAI 6 months ago, turned Hypo and have been adjusting dosage of Levothyroid. I am currently on 88 mcg's.....Should I worry about this leg pain? Is this normal? Should I contact my doctor? Thanks!
Your TSH should be between a .50-1.0 with autoimmune. You are hypo and that is why you hurt and ache. Ask your dr to run a Free T3 test to see if you are converting properly as well. The new ranges for TSH have been out for quite a while...they are .30-3.0. Your doctor is keeping you very undertreated. Is he not a thyroid specialist? If he won't comply with getting you feeling better, I would suggest you finding a specialist who knows the proper ranges and who will get you to feeling better. I hope you can find relief soon! :)  And don't be scared as the joint and muscle aches are very common with hypo.
Thank you so much! I've been so scared that I had MS or blood clots in my legs. I've just been thinking the worst and my hypochondriatic state has really kicked in since I got sick. You know, it's been very difficult having to face all of this stuff on my own. Nobody understands me and nobody believes me half the time....they just tell me to suck it up, but itsl like how am I supposed to suck it up when I feel SO, SO, SO horribly! I sure am glad to have found this forum to talk with people who know EXACTLY what I'm facing and how difficult it really is.

I'm actually seeing an Endocrinologist and he told me the standard TSH was 0.200-5.500, but it's Kaiser so we all know how that goes. He told me to keep the same dose and we will recheck labs in 6 weeks. He stays in contact with me pretty frequently, which is nice, but if he's telling me the standard range is 0.2-5.5 then I'm going to have to talk to him about what you told me.

Thank you so much for responding to me..... it actually brought some relief to know someone understands!!!
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/testsforthyroid/a/labs2003.htm

This will show you when the ranges were changed by the AACE.....
Now you can print and show him the proof. :)
I have the same problem and I am hypo. I currently was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and from what I understand, this is caused by the tyroid. I have been on tyroid medicine for 3 years and my numbers are still in the 17 range. Hypothyroidism as many symptoms if you prolong getting the correct treatment.