Thyroid Disorders Community
ARG mixed answers Celiacs and Hashi's

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

ARG mixed answers Celiacs and Hashi's

My research has given me nothing that I have found satisfying. What I really want is peer-reviewed medical journal or article. I know that having one autoimmune disease may make you more prone to getting another, but I want statistics and numbers. Does having Hashimoto's make you (statistically) significantly more likely to get Celiac's disease? Both my husband an I have Hashimoto's and my husband is gluten intolerant. Not sure if he has celiac's disease though, he hasn't been tested yet. Anyway I don't know if I should go gluten free too. It would probably be easier on us in the long run to just kick gluten out of the house, but I love my oatmeal/granola breakfast. And atm, that is the only thing in my diet that isn't gluten free.

Has anyone read anything in a medical journal about this? Any links to studies or names of them that I can look up? I'm a pretty skeptical person so I would really prefer something peer reviewed over say a naturopathic source.
A 2007 Dutch study, published in the World Journal of Gastroenterology, confirmed a connection between Hashimotos Thyroiditis and celiac disease.

"World J Gastroenterol. 2007 Mar 21;13(11):1715-22.

Coeliac disease in Dutch patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and vice versa.

Hadithi M, de Boer H, Meijer JW, Willekens F, Kerckhaert JA, Heijmans R, Peña AS, Stehouwer CD, Mulder CJ.

Source
Department of Gastroenterology, Rijnstate Hospital, The Netherlands. muhammed.***@****

Abstract

AIM:
To define the association between Hashimoto's thyroiditis and coeliac disease in Dutch patients.

METHODS:
A total of 104 consecutive patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis underwent coeliac serological tests (antigliadins, transglutaminase and endomysium antibodies) and HLA-DQ typing. Small intestinal biopsy was performed when any of coeliac serological tests was positive. On the other hand, 184 patients with coeliac disease were subjected to thyroid biochemical (thyroid stimulating hormone and free thyroxine) and thyroid serological tests (thyroglobulin and thyroid peroxidase antibodies).

RESULTS:
Of 104 patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis, sixteen (15%) were positive for coeliac serology and five patients with documented villous atrophy were diagnosed with coeliac disease (4.8%; 95% CI 0.7-8.9). HLA-DQ2 (and/or -DQ8) was present in all the five and 53 patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis (50%; 95% CI 43-62). Of 184 patients with coeliac disease, 39 (21%) were positive for thyroid serology. Based on thyroid biochemistry, the 39 patients were subclassified into euthyroidism in ten (5%; 95% CI 2-9), subclinical hypothyroidism in seven (3.8%; 95% CI 1.8-7.6), and overt hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's thyroiditis) in 22 (12%; 95% CI 8-16). Moreover, four patients with coeliac disease had Graves' disease (2%; 95% CI 0.8-5) and one patient had post-partum thyroiditis.

CONCLUSION:
The data from a Dutch population confirm the association between Hashimoto's thyroiditis and coeliac disease. Screening patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis for coeliac disease and vice versa is recommended.

PMID: 17461476 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]"

***

"So how do you find out if you’re gluten intolerant? Unfortunately, standard lab tests aren’t very accurate. They test for antibodies to gluten in the bloodstream. But antibodies in the blood will only be found in cases where the gut has become so permeable that gluten can pass through. This is a relatively advanced stage of disease. Blood tests will miss the many milder cases of gluten intolerance that haven’t yet progressed to that stage.

Stool analysis is far more sensitive, because it detects antibodies produced in the digestive tract that aren’t yet escaping into the bloodstream. Using this method at Entero Lab, Dr. Kenneth Fine, a pioneer in the field, has found that up to 35% of Americans are gluten intolerant."

Excerpt from the article "The gluten-thyroid connection" by Chris Kresser.

Source

Abstract

AIM:

METHODS:

RESULTS:

CONCLUSION:

***

Thanks that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.