Abnormal TSH despite treatment
I am 55 years of age with history of hypothyroidism for the past 30 years.  I have never really found a happy medium with my thyroid doseage and my TSH levels.   Two years ago, a TSH result was over 50, with increasing doses of synthroid it was lowered to 12.5,  It is now back to 20.  

I am taking two tablets of synthroid a day,  totaling 375mcg.  I just recieved a call from my Doctor and once again they are increasing the dosage.  I have the mild depression, cold intolerance, fatigue, and insomnia.  I can not sleep more than 2 hours with out waking up and not being able to go back to sleep for hours.  I am always tired.  

I guess I am asking...
What to do now?  Increasing doses just does not seem to curb the problem, I seem to just need more.
Could it be there is another Test that should be done to see if I actually need all this Thryroid supplement.

Thank you
NH
Wow! 30 years.....Same Doctor? Only TSH testing done?
No, actually I have moved around quite a bit, and have had TSH, T4 T7 done in the past just not recently.   It is over the past three years that my dosage has increased monumentally from 75 mcg to todays increase to 400 mcg/day.   But over the past five years I have been under the same Doctors care.

I go back in one month for another TSH, but I just wonder if it is a waste of time, and money to have that test done, if in fact there is another that would be more diagnostic.

NH
I am kind of new at this Thyroid stuff, but I'd have to think that you should have a more thorough blood work up and a Physical Exam too.
I am under a Doctors care.  I see Him regularly, for BP and the common things that plague all of us yearly.  Its just my Thyroid that has me concerned.  In fact I just saw the Doctor yesterday, and went for my Lab work this morning.  That is how quickly he followed up on the elevated TSH.  I go for a follow up one in one month.

NH
I guess he's probably doing all the right stuff.
HA! Listen to me. I'm so new at this, I just read a lot and try to learn something from it all. I was diagnosed Hashimoto's just a couple of week ago. So all in all...I don't ****, but there are a whole bunch of other people on here that do.
How exactly are you taking the Synthroid? In detail.

Are you taking other medications or supplements (calcium) that would interfere with absorbtion of or metabolizing the Synthroid?

Have you been tested for iodine, magnesium, selenium, zinc, vitamin D, (what am I forgetting?) to see if you have deficiencies? Maybe a deficiency is interfering with your body's ability to utilize the hormones.

Maybe run a Reverse T3 test.
A Free T3 and a Free T4 would be nice, too.
You could also have an absorption problem in your GI system.