Abnormal cells in biopsy results
I have had a 'fat neck' for many years, but a doctor has recently noticed it and sent me to a specialist.  I had been to doctor about a cough which wouldn't go away. Also my voice has changed. Ultra sound found a multi-nodular goitre.
I had a biopsy this week and the consultant called me to say there are 'abnormal cells' and the slides have been sent away for further testing.  My doctor called me tonight to tell me that I also have hypothyroidism even though 3 months ago when I felt like I had symptoms of hypo, the tests were normal.

Just wondering what 'abnormal cells' could mean?  Is it a general term for all sorts of disorders or is it cancer and they are looking for which types it is?
I have an appointment on Monday but really need info now!
Abnormal cells is very non-specific. Without seeing the report. Most thyroid abnormalities are benign.
Since though your doctor called you up and told you that you are hypo when your tests are normal, I suspect, but cannot be sure of course, that they detected the cells of Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Also, please know that even if your tests are normal, I learned the hard way that my doctors were not running all the right tests - they just ran TSH which just tests what the pituitary is telling the thyroid and maybe T4 which is not the active part of the thyroid. Free T3 and Free T4 are more accurate indicators of what the thyroid is doing. Make sure that you get copies of everything all the time - reports and labs.

I have had a lot of different thyroid issues from follicular adenomas to colloid so it is nerve wracking. I was so happy to get it all out and finally get stable. Get a good surgeon and make sure your parathyroids stay safe!

Good luck!