Thyroid Disorders Community
Abnormal mammogram :(

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Abnormal mammogram :(

Finally...I went to the ENT on Wednesday and she looked over all my tests and numbers and she made the diagnosis on hashi...no more gray area for me.  She ordered a bunch of test to look for other autoimmune conditions...I'll get those results in a couple of weeks.  Then....

My gyn called to tell me that there were concerns about my mammogram.  The dr saw changes (I don't remember what changes; I'm calling for a copy of the report today) and wants to do an ultrasound.  Since my mom has breast cancer I'm a little freaked out.  Oh....

My mom and kids are visiting for the weekend and I have to keep it to myself and put on my game face.  So, I needed to tell someone who'd understand....

Sandy
I have never heard of Hashi. I will do a little research after this post. But, i do know about abnormal mamo's.
Knowing your mom had breast cancer makes this all the harder. I know because I went through the same thing a few years back.
I had to go every 6 mths for a mamo until they decided it was just calcium deposits.
If it wasn't for the deposits I wouldn't have any breasts at all! lol
My mother died from breast cancer a little over 5 years ago so I am constantly watching for any changes in them.
I hope for you .... that your changes are something that can be delt with easily and quickly.
You are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep your chin up.

Oh Sandy!!!!  I understand completely and thankfully, you were there in July when I went through the mammo and US scare.  Keep your chin up!  My US only found a cyst and a nodule and when I went two weeks later for the lumpectomy (which I kind of opted for) the nodule was gone and all that was left was the cyst.  I had to talk to the nurse yesterday at the GYN b/c I am having some focal pain in that breast now.  She told me it was probably just the cyst hurting, watch it til Tuesday and if still there, then come in for a quick check.  Changes can also mean fibrocystic breasts so please try to think of it that way.  I know the swirling thoughts in your head - let me know if there is anything I can do!  ~Kim
Thanks for the good thoughts....It means alot to me.  I'll keep you posted.

Sandy

p.s.  oops!!!... I meant to say diagnosis of hashimoto for my hypothyroid....my typing isn't so good early in the morning...LOL
  Hi. I saw your post & thought I'd share...I had a lump the Dr found & went for an ultrasound, where she said they found '3 solid masses' & sent me on my way to wait for the Dr to call to make a mammo appt. My mom got breast cancer when I was 9 & died when I was 17, so I am totally cancer paranoid anyway.
  Had the mammo the next week(yes, they made me wait a WHOLE week knowing I had 3 'solid masses') Mammo didn't show much due to dense breasts, but I told them I wanted them OUT asap, no needle biopsy, just get them out. That week I also had a pelvic ultrasound & they found a 'large mass' on my right ovary (fist sized). I was positive it was finally here & gonna kill me & had spread everywhere...lol. I have never been so terrified in my life. It was hell. Still makes me sad when I think about how scared I was.
  Anyway, I had the surgery on my boob & they could only get to one, & it was a benign fibroadenoma, and the mass on my ovary was a huge dermoid cyst...My sis-in-law has 2 lumps on her breast, both biopsied, both benign. My mom-in-law has had 5 removed, all benign.
None of these stories helped me when I was going through it, I was sure it was the end for me...lol, but I thought I'd share anyway. MOST of the time, it's okay, so try not to worry too much. Easier said then done when it's your body though, huh? Lol :-)
Hugs Sandy.   We keep a lot to ourselves to keep others from worrying.  Sometimes that's good and that is what all of us are here for - as your outlet, shoulder to cry on, and to help you celebrate when things come back fine!

Don't leave them in the dark forever though.  I did this with my son (during my first recurrence) and didn't realize that he was more savvy to what was happening than I gave him credit for.  It put him into a deep depression because he figured if I wasn't talking about it then I was probably going to die.  :-(   Sometimes family members need to talk too.

When you feel you can talk to them, please do.  Until then, we're here for you!

HUGS!

Utahmomma
papillary carcinoma.
To TonnaB...I'm so sorry that you lost your mom at such a young age.  I lost two wonderful friends and not a day goes by that I don't think of them.  

Thanks for the encouraging words and hugs...It does help to know that so many women have gone through this with benign results.  My ultrasound is next Thursday and I like the dr who will be doing the test.  Hopefully, I'll know something then

To Utahmomma...your advice is right on...I don't plan to keep this a secret after this weekend.  I just don't want to spoil my mom's visit.

Sandy
My thoughts are with you.  I've had to go back for u/s too.
I forgot to mention my best friend also, she has one she has had for at least 5 years that I can remember, & I presume it's also benign, as she's still alive & healthy...lol. She has implants & they are hesitant to biopsy it due to the risk of rupturing them. Waiting is worse than anything. They should do everything right then, that day. Mammo, ultrasound, biopsy if needed. A week feels like an eternity when you are waiting on something like that!
My thoughts and prayers are also with you!  

I had a breast lump when I was 26 years old.  The doctor told me at the time that he thought because of the feel and size as well as the area it was in, it was likely cancer.  

The following week, I was in for a mammogram, then a needle biopsy.  

Turned out to be a cyst.  It was aspirated and benign.  

Keep your chin up!  Just because your mom had it doesn't necessarily mean that you do!  Remember, there are all kinds of other possible reasons for breast lumps that don't involve anything even remote to life threatening.  Just be glad that you're having it looked at and whatever it is, you'll get it taken care of!  

Sending you loads of best wishes!
We are here for you and we understand.  I hope all is okay .. C~
I had the ultrasound today and the dr thinks it is probably just a cyst but wants to do a needle aspiration next friday just to be sure.  Thanks to all of you for your kind notes and encouraging words...it helped me a lot to know you were there for me.

Sandy
Fingers crossed for just a simple cyst!!!   Hey, hold on to the hope!

HUGS

Utah
Just to make you feel better, I have a ton of these cysts on my breast. As well as my ovaries. Its not fun, but its common for thyroid. Yes do the checkup it will be fine tho:)  Good luck youll be fine!
Thanks for the kind words and thoughts...

just wanted to let you know that the cyst was aspirated (surprisingly painless procedure) and of course the fluid was red and had to be tested.  Happily it came back normal...doc is going to ultrasound the breast again in Nov just to be on the safe side.

It was a very stressful few weeks and knowing I had your support meant a lot. :)

Sandy
Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Thanks for letting us know
Glad to hear the news!  I'm sure that you're relieved.  

And, yes, isn't it amazing how rather painless the needle biopsy is?  I remember seeing the needle come out and bracing myself on the table, only to be very pleasantly suprised at how little it did hurt.  I've had blood tests far more painful than that! :)  

Glad to hear that your results were like mine and Life can go on again.  I know that the constant checking makes it a bit stressful but, I keep thinking of it as preventative and should anything arise, it's early and can be taken care of quite nicely.  

Happy that you let us know!