Thyroid Disorders Community
Abnormal vaginal bleeding on Synthroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Abnormal vaginal bleeding on Synthroid

Hello, I was diagnosed with a multinodular goiter, caused by low thryoid levels in October.   I was having my periods every 3 weeks for years before this.   I was put on 125 mcg Synthroid to keep the goiter from enlargin further and perhaps to shrink it.   For two months after I started Synthroid, I was thrilled to get normal periods back, every 4 weeks.  No since that 2nd period, I started bleeding just 2 weeks after and it's been almost a week now, not bad bleeding but more than spotting.   Is this because of Synthroid and should I contact my doctor about this or just wait and see if it goes away soon?   Thanks for your help, so new to this!
I have this problem as well..I am also Peri-menopause so i dont know whats what, but it is a lot worse since going on thyroxine, turn up when they want and last for weeks now..
Oh my, lasting for weeks, I feel for you!   Can I ask how long you've been on thyroxine and what does the doctor say about this?   I have yet to contact the doctor because it's just a slight nusance and maybe it is peri-menopause.    I don't feel bad or anything.... yet.  
Its a pain i know, the doctor is putting it down to the Peri..I have been on the thyroxine since June 09, 7 months and this all started in say September..i was fine till going on the thyroxine so i dont know it baffles me..I still believe it has messed me up but its so hard to know as being at this stage of my life and this on top they say one mimics the other..I go back in early Feb so im hoping to find out more as well..I have seen on this forum tho many who have had their cycles mess up with meds.
I had that. My GYN put me on the pill, but now my breasts are sore and I have nodules from the pill, so I have to take iodine. I wonder what I will need to counteract the iodine!

:) Tamra
Funny how yours started about 2 months after you began meds and mine too, began 3 months after.   I honestly don't think it's peri-menopause, although I am 49.   Before starting Synthroid, my THS was 1.0, now it is 0.02.   My T4 was 7.0, now it is 10.72.    The doctor seemed to think thse were good levels for my situation, to supress what caused the goiter.   But maybe changing meds might change this bleeding situation, I really should call, but will wait a bit since it's only been about a week with this excess.  I hope your doctor can provide a solution for you too!  
Are you also on Synthroid?   If so, did your problems begin after starting it?    I'm so new to the thyroid problems and I worry my doctor might not be up on the newest information.   I assume the iodine is to shrink the nodules?