Thyroid Disorders Community
About drinking bottled water and eating cashews

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I just read that drinking bottled water would affect Hypothyroism because of the plastic.I drink aquafina water.Also does  eating cashews affect hypothyroism? Thanks for your help.
Interesting the question with cashews. I eat lots of those and I have mixed feelings. I had the feeling is just me. Maybe they are too heavy for the liver.
I will wait and see other opinions.
Did you hear anything about those?
I just read that peanuts and cashews were bad for hypothyroism. I did not know if it was true but I have been eating them everyday to help get magnesium but something is bothering me.
Makes sense to me. I love nuts, so I was eating mostly cashews. I stopped a few days ago after I realized that I get certain symptoms after eating them.
I heard the peanuts are no good, but nothing about cashews.
The story with bottle water bothers me the most.
How can you stop drinking it? I can not take with me water in glass bottles. I drink it at work, everywhere I go.
I hate if I have to start getting filtered tap water from work.
I've read about the bottled water thing. They're making a big deal of it in Europe, too I believe.

I've filed it in the "do not care" file and I'm drinking bottled water. The water out of my tap would be more harmful unless I installed a reverse osmosis filter system or something like that.

I crave cashews, but cut back on them after reading something about it months ago. Memory like a sieve. Can't remember what it said about cashews, just remember I stopped scarfing them down as much.

Ive heard that we should be drinking bottled water, and no peanuts. I had some tonight. Not a good idea lol!  But we all learn from our mistakes.
Hmmm... scary.  I heard about the bottled water too and have  been buying glass ones  from whole foods.  hey are a lot heavier though.  I also use a hard plastic reusable bottle... I wonder if that's bad too or if it's just the disposables.  
Ahhh the effects of the media on the "collective mind"... Today it's bottled water and cashews, tomorrow it's global warming and tennis shoe rubber in our urine...

SOMETHING will kill us all.  But then again, we could die of old age....  If we survive our thryoid issues, we should consider ourselves lucky and LIVE that "life" we've just snatched away from the brink!  

Take everything the media dishes up with a HUGE grain of salt, use all things in moderation, and move on with your lives.

Now if they publicized the "tennis shoe rubber in our urine" thing... run for your lives!!!!!!!!  Cause I totally just MADE THAT UP!
All i know is that when i went to the Endo last week, she told me not to eat large amounts of nuts. She didn't specify which kind....

However, she also suggested that I avoid eating seafood everyday (that's fine - not much of that out here on the Danube) and that I make sure to avoid the Iodine/Betadine solution at hospitals. The translation is a little rough, but I think she was saying because of a sudden, large amount of iodine in your system which may reek a little havoc on ya.

That's my two cents.
Sorry you feel this way. I still believe this site is to help each other not to influence the way we feel.
It will be good if it will be only in our heads, not in our bodies too.
I personally stopped eating cashews before reading this post because I realized it's something wrong. The post just confirmed what I was already feeling.
New here,  just wondering what kind of symtoms (symptoms) you all were getting from eating cashews?  I have only half a thyroid, but I eat cashews all the time, but they don't seem to cause any problems that I can tell, but all this is kinda of new for me.  Just started synthroid about 3 months ago.  You'll probably hear more from  me, I have a lot of questions.

I have well water and believe it I have natural Euqafina spring water 20 minutes up the road. I usually conoe down their 3 or 4 times a year. I have a filter on the well water but I would hat not being able to drink spring water.

As for nuts that just nuts. Nuts have a natural ingredent containing silymarin, like milk thistle and asist your adrenals to bind T3. I guess for every good reason their is sure to be a bad reason.

I am going to do a Adrenal test shortly just need a little more money because I want to see where I am and what I can do. I feel with Synthroid your Adrnal is uslessly working overtime for T4 and this is causing problems.

Also, lack sodium is so much the reason for Goiters if your Adrenals pass them out through your urine then you never have enough sodium in your body. So, here's the thing if I had known that I would have asked for an Adrenal Test to see if that was the reason for the Goiter and hence might have changed my whole diagnosis. Here I am trying to fix the T3 and T4 and Adrenal and Hormone issue geeze. Got of the subject didn't I.  
I want to know too, like BB8911, what symptoms you noticed after nuts.
I have to say, as I was writing my post I started down the road pep88 did.

Beer's bad for you.
Beer's good for you.
Coffee's bad for you.
Coffee's good for you.

The media latches onto something every month.
The bottled water scare is right up there with Global Warming, Global Cooling, and Global Climate Change.

Brazil nuts are high in selenium and are good for you.
Cashews,meh...who knows.
you know that what I meant wasn't on the same page sorry boat that. Brian fogger.
Is that for those of with thyroids or those of us that have had them removed or those of us that have dead thryoids but havent been removed.... ??? hmmm I am confused.
LOL
Vee
The water thing is for ANYONE. They have found that chemicals leach out of the plastic bottle into the water.

How many chemicals are in a twinkie?

Is this plastic water bottle alarm really a health threat?
For someone who smokes and drinks and breathes polluted air, I am having a hard time getting concerned.

Have you ever looked inside a water pipe? Nasty grunge coating the inside of it. The city lines are disgusting. Bottled water can't pose more of a threat than our modern plumbing. But if they talked about REAL problems like that, the whole country would panic.

When I was a kid I drank out of the water hose all the time. I didn't wear a bike helmet or knee pads either. How on Earth did I survive?

And Venora, you're supposed to be confused. If you get confused enough, they give you a liscence to practice medicine!
:o)
Job opportunity!!!!
That was awesome AR-10 for sure you must know my step dad he would say the same thing about growing up! See I am really lucky I live in a nice house in the country and have my own well water. Close enough to the springs that I wouldn't be surpised that I get the benifits. Speaking of pipes years ago I researched mansanto's you don't hear much about it anymore but you want to talk pollution man they had to evacuate entire towns.
I think the whole thyroid problems and other problems that doctors seem to consistantly look the other direction is why we are a sick nation and have so many trying to heal themselves. God knows doctors don't . Their to deep in the insurance pocket.
As I write this munching on cashews and drinking my bottled water I have to wonder does it matter to me since I have no thyroid.
I have to agree with Ar and pep.
My advice is dont buy into the 30 min newscasts.
Hey sidney I have well water too and I drink out of a bottle by the gallon. I work at an AFBase that the epa test the water every year cause theres alot of dumping into the water suppy of stuff they arent supposed to dump so I will contiue to drink my bottled water. i get enough exposure to chemicals in the building I work in.

We are going to die.Remember when they came out with hair dye will give you cancer?
Oh I did have cancer in my thryoid and I dye my hair so it must be true.
Take everything you hear on the 30 minute news with a grain of salt.
Vee
You must be from North Carolina without even looking I can say camp lajune?
Nope Oklahoma LOLmajor big jet engine depot
Vee
Something about the nuts:

http://thyroid.about.com/b/2008/09/16/peanut-butter-and-thyroid-problems.htm
thanks,that answered my question.I dont think it matters to me since I have no thryoid.but anything in excess can hurt you.
Vee
Altus Oklahoma?
Nope Tinker AFB Oklahoma City.So how do you know all these military bases?
   I am an army brat myself. Joined the Air Force then I married it lol Hubby is retired AF but we both work as DOD civilians as Jet engine mechanics
Vee.
Air Force Brat ?
I'm Hypothyroid and we put one of those purilators on the faucet and that seems to be ok, my thyroid tested fine. I love cashews and peanuts too, but its the salt on the nuts that makes it bad, some salt has iodine in it that compound on top of your thyroid meds is what makes you feel funny its too much.
Here's another one to ponder, now we don't have enough iodine, because we stopped putting salt on our foods, so they think it might raise the risk of breast cancer (low iodine)
Have they not noticed all the salt in our foods.  Just look at a can of soup!  Or those lunchables we give our kids! I'm really getting confused.

BB8911
I thought the same thing about getting lots of sodium in foods like soup. So I called Campbell's and Progresso, and they both told me that they do NOT use iodized salt. They said just about all products that DO use iodized salt will list the salt as iodized. So of you just see salt, or sea salt, there's no iodine there.

I just had my iodine levels tested and I came up just a bit low. Did you know that one benefit of getting more iodine is that it helps our bodies get rid of the bad bromide and flouride in our systems?
I was told the same thing regarding putting "iodized salt" on the label if it was used and am glad to hear that those two companies don't use it.  That's good to know for those of us who have to do the low iodine diet before RAI.  However, I do know that sea salt does contain iodine.  I was told to stay away from both that and iodized salt when on the LID.
Guess I’m doomed. Or, no wonder I got doomed.  The bottled water brand named ‘Aquafina’ happens to be the public water of the town I grew up in.

~

“Something about the nuts:

http://thyroid.about.com/b/2008/09/16/…..”

Reading that sentence and then seeing whom it’s referring to is somehow striking me as rather profound.  Yes, you definitely will come across ‘something about the nuts’ if you go there – no doubt about it!