Thyroid Disorders Community
Aching in throat and esophagus
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Aching in throat and esophagus

I don't know where to turn. I do not have tonsils, however, my throat aches in that area after eating (not all meals). It can occur after eating oatmeal or something fried, to a PB&J sandwich. The aching travels down the esophagus and back up. Aching sometimes start when I get hungry?? hurting under my tongue. Had endoscopy, Doc. says it is Angina??
Help me

This discussion is related to Neck - larynx pain.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hello,
This could be from angina, gall bladder disease, esophageal strictures, esophagus spasms, ulcers/ h. pylori infection, even reflux. It can also be from some sort of external pressure on your esophagus (like a mass from your thyroid, an esophageal "pocket", or an aortic vessel aneurysm). Since it is usually triggered after eating, and you have had a recent endoscopy (did it look at your bile duct?) I would recommend a chest/abdominal CAT scan (looking for thoracic masses or vessel abnormalities and gall stones) and a cardiac work-up including a treadmill test. Thyroid blood tests will show if it working properly, and if you're concerned that the aching originates from your thyroid area, then an ultrasound of it will tell you more. At 66 yrs old, this could be many things -some just annoying, some VERY serious. Please explain your concerns to your Dr and insist on the appropriate tests to get to the bottom of what's going on...Good luck and better health...~MM
Blank
The fact that it happens after you eat sounds like GERD...you can test this easily by getting some prilosec OTC at the drug store and take one dose 1/2 hour before you eat at morning and at evening before dinner...do this for two weeks, if you feel better, then it is probably GERD.  BUT I stress, listen to the doctors, but bring this up with them.  You can also do some things that are non-drug related, like sleep with your head more elevated, don't eat or drink after 6 pm, cut out orange juice, tomatoes, and acid producing foods, then see how you feel.  Good luck.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...