Thyroid Disorders Community
Acupuncture for trigger points and fibro?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Going to try acupuncture for triggers points and fibro - anyone have any luck?  Since I acquired a new problem
lately with my right arm and neuropathy,extra ribs and shoulder pain, those points are sore under the armpit and
trap on right side.  I am sure that my T3 levels being lower are not helping this, and I will be starting on cytomel
soon after my adrenal studies are taken  by my endo.  About how long does it take for cytomel to kick in after
starting?  Also left a quesstion for Fly4food about how to take it when and separate from the all the vitamins and
other meds?  
"About how long does it take for cytomel to kick in after
starting?"

I noticed my benefit of T3 (cyto) reducing my body pain in only 4 days! Unfortunately for me, it was also accompanied by a headache that never went away. So I looked for other T3........Dessicated. I wish Cyto did not give me a headache, as it is more available than dessicated.  

As you may know, split the cyto dose twice a day to even things out. I would not go full bore the first couple of days. Maybe half dose at first. Doctors dont believe in baby steps, T3 is potent at first for someone never on it before!

I hope it works wonders for you! Many like it.
How common of a side effect is the headache and how bad.....? Sure don't want that.
Md told me it was powerful and could make your heart race........I will ask him about
splitting the dose up sounds like a good idea.............. thanks,
Carla
Any raise in T3 meds whether taking a desiccated med or T3 Cytomel will have a side effect of a mild achey (achy) headache. These can last up to 2 weeks. Sometimes increases of the T3 medication or the combo will come right around the same time the increase is needed - so the headache could linger on until you reach optimal dosages.

Splitting anything with a T3 is good. Much better to distribute in small portions twice a day - then throwing your body into a "high" then crash. T3 is about a 4 hr short lived med.

As for the acupuncture. It is the most amazing thing I ever did for myself. Along with finding the right medsto what I needed to stabilze my thyroid situation - acupuncture totally rocks and balanced the rest of my issues.

I will never forget my last visit and I wish I had the money to go often. You will not believe the benefits it offers. There are key points for everything. You may be suprised that they may not look at Fibro so much. It's not a named issue in this line of therapy. It is believed that there is a "root" issue for pain in the Chinese methods. They believe pain does not have a name and something is causing the body to send these signals.  AMEN!!! They fine tune the acupuncture therapy to locate the ailing situation and use it to heal these components.
carla

Ironically I stumbled on this too today. You may want to check it out. It seems to be something I am reading alot about for T3 conversion to relieve aches and lower cholestrol numbers.

Guggul: You get a lot of bang for your buck with guggul because it helps you make more T3, it can lower cholesterol/triglycerides and it may relieve joint pain and osteoarthritis.

Are you going to try and take this guggul.  I just looked at some reviews and it warns
against taking it with thyroid meds.........Very interesting for sure......about how long
do you separate your cytomel from regular meds, HRT and vitamins?  If one splits
it how many hours apart would you suggest?  thanks,
Carla
I take desiccated combo thyroid meds. I do not take Cytomel. Laura1967 takes the two. She does very well on it.

4 hrs apart is best - but you can go a tad longer if desired